jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Would you ever consider a co-living arrangement with another family to save mone

1. Thundermama profile image90
    Thundermamaposted 5 years ago

Would you ever consider a co-living arrangement with another family to save money?

In these challenging economic times, sharing your living accommodations might be the key to making ends meet. Would you consider co-living? What would be the pros and cons?

2. peeples profile image96
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Never! I would rather give up all the extras in life than have to share my home with another family. Everything about another family being in my home would be a con for me. I had my fair share of coliving in foster care, never again!

3. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

No. I can barely stand sharing a two bedroom house with my boyfriend and his alcoholic friend. It's irritating listening at 7 in the morning to him throwing up in the bathroom and seeing the oversized idiot naked again and again. I only lived with the alcoholic as a roommate for three months, but now I regret not poisoning his Crown Royal.
    I will share my home with my boyfriend because we get along fine, but I will never share with someone else. Especially not an alcoholic who parties until 3 in the morning when he goes to work at 5.

4. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

No.  There is a "natural order of things" that involves people either living as an individual (which can mean that sharing a residence can work) or people living as a family (which involves a certain set of dynamics and "environment-establishing" by the adults). Families need their place (home) away from the rest of the world, without the complications of another family being around.

Of course, there can sometimes be a difference between Aunt Susie and her four-year-old moving in with Mary and Fred and their three kids; and Stacy and Jennifer sharing their home with the other, and the other's three kids.  THAT's not a living arrangement.  That's a horror show.   smile

Pros:  None.   Cons:  Too numerous to mention.

5. Lizam1 profile image83
    Lizam1posted 5 years ago

Yes, I would consider it - and because of all the reasons others have stated  - it would have to be carefully planned and thought out.  Ideally if the home could be converted into separate suites with shared garden that would be a win win. 
    We have always had international students live with us and it has, for the most part, been a very positive experience for my children and I.

I shared flats in the UK and again, mostly, it was very positive.  I think sharing with family could be way way harder.

working