jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you feel its better to save your money or invest your money now-a-days?

1. Nspeel profile image76
    Nspeelposted 5 years ago

Do you feel its better to save your money or invest your money now-a-days?

I just want others opinions on the situation because I am far from a spender but even more far from a saver. All my money goes to making more money tell me about how you make money and what works for you?

2. HarperDavis profile image59
    HarperDavisposted 5 years ago

Good question! I think considering the times at hand, evaluating your current situation and taking your next step accordingly is your best bet. For me, investing would be better than saving. Saving is best done when there's extra income, and well, I need the extra income first!

3. Angela Kane profile image77
    Angela Kaneposted 5 years ago

I prefer to invest my money in low risk mutual funds until the economy gets better and then I will start investing my money more aggressively.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Saving money today in a standard savings account does not pay much interest - some as low a 1/4 percent.  But conversely investing your money is very risky today.  Many reliable mutual funds used to be steadfast at 6 to 8% but the market has become so volatile, it is so risky to put your money in that sector.

It depends on how you feel about an economic collapse.  Are you worried about banks and other investment venues? It is hard to say.

If I were you, I would save cash first.  Set a goal - say $1000. Once you reach that goal, take half and find a sound investment.  You can study funds online and see their performance.  Also Savings Bonds, while low in interest are a good place to start saving.

Saving is very important even if the return is almost nil because of emergencies that come up - bad tire, car dies, battery dead, whatever.  That is what you need a savings for.  Once you have a little put away, start investing - but do your homework.  Smartmoney.com has some good info. so does Morningstar.com