jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should retirement be compulsory?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

Should retirement be compulsory?

Should we push employees for involuntary retirement if they don’t want to?

2. nmdonders profile image82
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

Yes, but I suppose it depends on the job.  At a certain age we are often unable to continue doing the jobs we once performed well at.  It can be a liability to maintain someone as an employee if there is a risk or injury to that employee or others by keeping them on the job.  On the other hand, a lot of people that are at the retirement age perform better than people half their age.

3. Lisa HW profile image71
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I think it depends on whether person remains capable of performing the job and/or whether anyone else's safety is put at risk by having, say, a seventy-year-old do that job.  I know of a professional guy who works in an office-type setting (as opposed to being someone who pulls people out of burning buildings).  That guy was hired into a fairly high level position and has for ten or so years.  He's just an example.  Someone else I know was forced into retirement because her company had to trim out people, and close-to-retirement-age people were among the first to go.  She just went out and got another similar job.   People over fifty-five can still have kids in college they'd like to help.  They still have mortgages and rents and heating bills.  Having little kids can be a whole lot less expensive than having just grown, and in college, ones.

Also, another question might be this:  Since science now knows that the human brain is not completely developed until "early- to mid- twenties", should everyone under twenty-five be forced to remain unemployed because "often people under a certain age can't do a job as well, or doesn't have the same maturity in judgment, as someone older does?  "But someone sixty-two may die or leave in two years."  So may someone twenty-six.  Then again, someone in his sixties may stay for ten years (like the guy I just mentioned) because he keeps getting more responsibilities, likes his job, and is far too active and vital to go sitting in a rocking chair somewhere. 

Who gets and keeps a job should be about who can prove, has proven, continues to prove, that he's able to do the job well (again, with the exception of the kind of job that could mean that the person's having a heart attack (or something like that) could immediately put the safety of someone else at risk).  Even with that, though, younger and irresponsible train conductors and bus drivers have been known to kill themselves or someone else by texting when they work; and similar is true for people of all ages who drink, use drugs, take ridiculous risks, or do any number of stupid things on the job.

4. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

In the UK the retirement age is around 60-65 for women and men.  To comply with equality laws women's retirement age of 60 is gradually being increased to be the same as men.  Ther is no compulsory retirement.  However, I think this is wrong,.  The retirement age for men should be reduced to be the same as women.  Retirement should be compusary.  That way it would free up a lot of jobs that can be filled by the younger, unemployed.

5. cheaptoys profile image62
    cheaptoysposted 5 years ago

only if the job requires quick thinking or a certain kind of dexterity like policemen and soldiers