How do you find work life balance when you work at home?

1. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

How do you find work life balance when you work at home?

I work from home and on most days I just shut the door and work undisturbed, but I find lately that my work issues seem to weigh on my mind long after I am done working for the day, simply because my office/projects are "right here".  I can't physically drive away from my workplace.  For those that work at home, do you find work keeps pulling you back even when you want to be done for the day?  How do you manage to not become burned out?

2. Radcliff profile image78
    Radcliffposted 5 years ago

This is a struggle for me, as well. I used to work, or be working in my  head, from morning until night. Now, I spend at least an hour or two each day going for a walk or riding my bike. At night, I read or find something else distracting to do. With conscious effort you will eventually be able to relax your brain and forget about work when you make this a daily habit. You should also--I'm trying to do this, too--stop working every hour or so and relax your brain (focus on your breath, listen to calming music, etc.). I learned recently that keeping your brain at work constantly keeps stress hormones elevated, which can lead to health problems.

3. kissayer profile image69
    kissayerposted 5 years ago

Always set a working routine - get up, showered/dressed, have breakfast and then start work and make sure you conduct your day as you would if you were in an office. Take a lunch break away from your computer to give your brain a rest and stop working each day at a certain time.

You have to look at it like you were working in an office, because you are! Would you work in your pjs? No! Same as you wouldn't be working until 10pm if you were away from home.

A routine is really, really important - but it takes a little while to find one that works best for you.

working