jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Is college a waste of time?

1. MountainManJake profile image89
    MountainManJakeposted 4 years ago

Is college a waste of time?

With so many students leaving college with so much debt that it takes them 3-4 years and some times longer to pay off their loans before they start being able to save, why should students even go?  If you saved 500 a month for 4 years you would have 24,000 plus interest in savings by the time your friend graduates college with 24,000 in debt.  At this rate, you will have 48,000 in savings by the time they break even.  College doesn't make sense.

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

You have a point. And, at the same time, it is possible to make very good use of college. My grandfather on my father's side would have agreed with you, but his son, my father, went to college and went on to get a Ph.D. and had a very successful career as a professor. Meanwhile, my mother's father was a professor back in the day. My brother dropped out of college, but did very well as an auto mechanic. Still, it was very clear that his two years of college made him a better problem-solver than most of the auto mechanics around him, who had less schooling. They looked up to him and came to him to solve their bigger problems.

I found college valuable because I used it to become an open-minded thinker. I learned to think well and to understand a whole lot about the whole world. Others use it as a stepping-stone to a profitable career, such as doctor or lawyer. Others can find their way without it.

My wife has many students who are coming back to college after a lifetime of work, and finding that learning to think and learning about the world is a great gift.

I encourage everyone to think for himself or herself. Let's all do that, with or without college. Then each person can decide if college is a useful step in his or her own life. And there are other ways to learn about life beside college, Mountain Man!

3. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 4 years ago

College is definitely not a waste of time and is very valuable for the individual to recognize that they can succeed in life, but also find a good job with effort and know that others who hire you respect your achievements, Hang in there if you are in college or considering attending and to work toward a degree. It is well worth the effort in the long run!

4. profile image0
    HowIConqueredposted 4 years ago

What you major in and how easy it will be for you to get a job after you graduate is the key. College is necessary and makes sense for many professions. But there are career paths where college isn't needed. While college is a great way to help a young adult mature into adult hood (gain experiences etc) it's not worth going into debt for if that's all you'll get out of it. What matters to most employers is your experience. Save yourself the money and go to a cheap school so you will have the four year education requirement under your belt and get as much real world job experience as possible in your field before you graduate. Have a clear cut plan for what you want to do and stay on track the best you can. The best way to save money while in college is to: A. Keep a job and pay out of pocket for school fee's as best as you can. B. Pay on your loan as you go, even if it's in deferment to cut down on the interest or principle. C. Never ever get a private student loan. Instead get a federal because your interest rate will be better in the long run and you have more protections and options with a government loan than with a private company. D. Get as many scholarships and grants as you qualify for to help pay for the majority of your costs. E. If you can't live at home with family, stay off campus and get a cheap apartment with roommates and cook all your meals. F. Save money on all your class materials by never purchasing from your school bookstore but instead shop at discount stores and online at Amazon or Ebay. You'll save a ton of money this way. G. Take your time in school. You don't need to graduate in four years. Study at your own pace. By doing this you're less likely to flunk classes which you will have to re-take and will cost you more money. Many people who pay their way through school take at least four and a half to five years to finish their undergraduate degree. Nothing wrong with that. It's smart.

Going to college cheaply can be done, but you need to plan things out in advance. Wish I knew all this before I spent a ton.

MountainManJakeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the amazing response.  I think what it comes down to is figuring out what is best for you.  Most people think they are required to get a bachelor's degree right out of high school when that is not always the case.

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

You make almost double after finishing college than if you did not go. Yes, student loans are a hassle, but if you are wise it is not as expensive. I agree that it is not for everyone. My grandfather was a millionaire yet never stepped foot on a college campus.

6. CZCZCZ profile image83
    CZCZCZposted 4 years ago

If you want to start your own business getting an MBA is a waste of time.  Better to do, than to study.

7. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 4 years ago

Education is never a waste of time.  To be smart and achieve your ambition in life you need to work and go to college. 

Education gives you an edge and allows you do earn a good wage and then you can use the extra income to pay your loans.

MountainManJakeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I just don't see where the edge comes in when all applicants of a college-required job have degrees.  I guess you'll have an advantage on jobs no body wants.  Unemployment is pretty high.  How things work today, people need to create their own jobs.

8. sweeteeth profile image76
    sweeteethposted 4 years ago

hello Sir i am a college student and you have asked a very interesting question. As sometimes i also consider the same thing why i joined college. But at the same time college education is very important.
         Some countries provide good jobs to only those students who are college graduates. For students aspiring for good jobs college education is very important.

But if someone is interested in business or any other conventional thing which dont require college education for those students college is waste of time and money.

working