jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is Franklin Templeton a legitimate source of mutual fund investments?

1. andrew savage profile image59
    andrew savageposted 4 years ago

Is Franklin Templeton a legitimate source of mutual fund investments?

2. Tom Fitzgerald profile image66
    Tom Fitzgeraldposted 4 years ago

I have used several of the Franklin Templeton investment funds.  I use a financial advisor to help me manage my retirement portfolio.  I do not presently have any of Franklin's funds in my portfolio as my investment needs have changed.

3. brandonhart100 profile image86
    brandonhart100posted 4 years ago

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. It's definitely legitimate in terms of it being a mutual fund company.

There are a few mutual funds within that company that have long outstanding track records and could be considered. That being said, going through a financial advisor you'll most likely pay a load fee and lose a significant portion of your investment upfront.

This is why so many people who manage their own investments go with a low front load fund company like Vanguard.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image81
    LandmarkWealthposted 4 years ago

Yes...but all fund companies have an expertise in a specific area, regardless of how they market themselves.  In general if you're looking for equity funds, you're better off steering clear of all fund companies and focus on the ETF market.  It is far more cost effective, and the track record of fund managers measured against the broad market is consistently embarrassing to the mutual fund industry. 

In the fixed income markets, I believe there is a benefit to active management, as the bond market, unlike the stock market is extremely inefficient in terms of pricing.  Franklin has a number of Municipal Bond funds that are among leaders in the field.  Muni's in particular are a very challenging field to manage, and will probably remain so for the next few years.  This is where I would suggest their expertise is.  Be advised that many of their funds have sales charges.   As an investment advisor, they are waived for me and my clients.  But you as the retail investor will not get the NAV as a price.  So if you're buying them on your own, you may want to be conscious of the sales charges and possibly look for a comparable competitor product.

5. profile image57
    CZARIIIposted 4 years ago

If one wants to pay a broker\finacial advisor for advice.  These are commission based funds.  There are dozens of no load funds to choose from, by asset class and by index that would work for long term investing.