jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Where do you focus the most in frugal living?

1. starx profile image65
    starxposted 4 years ago

Where do you focus the most in frugal living?

Where to focus the most in frugal lifestyle - finance, habits, addiction, distraction or any other thing? What are your observation related to the frugal living?

2. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I approach it from an empowered perspective - to appreciate what I have and to use what I have without waste.  I believe in reusing, upcycling, and not going to excess getting things I don't need.  I also believe that appreciating what we have and consciously working to make the most of what we have is an empowered and not impoverished mindset that has allowed us to actually attract more abundance and sustenance financially. I think when frugality is approached as a "sacrifice" it tends to lead people to perpetually poverty. In that sense, I guess you could say I focus more on habits that keep me in the right frame of mind and that keep us open to seeking new opportunities while at the same time being mindful to not squander the resources we do have.

1. Richard Brush profile image59
      Richard Brushposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  ChristinS, why are all your comments so awesome?  Here I am looking for questions and I consistently find that you've already made a well thought out, inoffensive reply that would trounce my own comment.  Curse you and your brilliant mind!

2. ChristinS profile image97
      ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

lol Richard - sorry, but thank you for the compliment! smile

3. cat on a soapbox profile image98
      cat on a soapboxposted 4 years agoin reply to this

" I think when frugality is approached as a "sacrifice" it tends to lead people to perpetually poverty." - very perceptive and so true!

3. cat on a soapbox profile image98
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

We try to focus on waste in general. How can we cut utility costs and stretch the food dollar?  The things we often forgo are travel, dining out, and expensive entertainment. Having friends in for dinner, enjoying movie/game nights, and taking advantage of free events and museum/botanical garden days are good substitutes. We also use frequent flier programs, discounts, and rewards whenever possible.

4. Organised Kaos profile image95
    Organised Kaosposted 4 years ago

When purchasing household items, we aim to find the best deal spending the least.

Bills, utilities are checked and queried for errors and any refunds requested. Although the utilities are not used as frugally.

The food bill is worked to within an inch of it's life.

Considering where I work, I recycle and reuse all items possible. Therefore living frugally wherever possible.

working