Have increased food prices changed your daily meal planning, and if so how?

1. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

Have increased food prices changed your daily meal planning, and if so how?

2. CraftytotheCore profile image83
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

Hi Beth!  Definitely.  It's so expensive here.  At one time, about $50 would fill a cart.  Now $70 doesn't even cover the entire bottom of the cart.  I have to really search for bargains and shop so frugally.

What I do is plan a weekly menu.  I buy ground turkey on sale buy 1 get 1 free so it's $2 a roll.  I can get a shepherd's pie and tacos out of those.  I look for sales on things like kielbasa.  If I can get those b1g1, I can plan 2 meals for $5.  Or, I buy a whole chicken.  Then I can bake it, make chicken & dumplings, and soup out of one.  The problem is even whole chickens are now going for over $10 a piece.

One time I hit a hotel style turkey sale and bought 2.  Those were $8 but lasted 3 or 4 meals including lunch for the next day.

I also buy large pork roasts on sale.  Those can last 3-4 meals and are $7 if I get them cheap.

Then I stock sides in my pantry.  I buy a huge bag of rice.  Last sale it was $8.  I buy a bag of potatoes.  I swap rice/potatoes.  I can't do pasta because of gluten. 

I also stock veggies.  So we have a meat, starch, veggie side every night.

I also do frozen shrimp.  Walmart sells it in bags for $5.  I'll make a shrimp/broccoli/rice dish out of that.

Whatever I cook though, I have to have enough to make my husband lunch for the next day because we can't afford to eat out.

I also shop at the dollar store a lot.  They have cleaning supplies, including bleach, plus paper goods.  Yesterday I went to a Family Dollar and stocked up on chicken soups for 65 cents a can.  That's really cheap.  It's $1.50-$2.00 a can everywhere else.

I've stopped buying juice boxes for the kids' lunches because they are expensive, plus they grew out of them.  They use a water bottle now.  I pack their lunch too.  But they usually get a sandwich, fruit, and a snack.

1. bethperry profile image92
      bethperryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Your shop much as my husband does. Good ideas here!