jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Is it wise to give beggars on the street your money? What if they became richer

1. shanice whitter profile image76
    shanice whitterposted 3 years ago

Is it wise to give beggars on the street your money? What if they became richer than you?

2. tehgyb profile image86
    tehgybposted 3 years ago

I'd rather give them actual food instead of money. Many "beggars" are just looking for money to get their next fix (Drugs or alcohol.) To weed these out, offer to buy them a burger at a nearby fast-food joint.

IF they become richer than me? Good. I'm glad. Heck, I'd HELP them on that journey if I could. Nobody deserves to live sleeping on pavement.

shanice whitterposted 3 years agoin reply to this

ha ha ha. I understand .

3. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

I highly doubt that a homeless person begging for money will suddenly become "richer" than you and if they did so what?  The tendency to demonize the poor and homeless has really gone off the rails.  I risked my job at one point several times giving money and food to the homeless.  The high brow hotel I worked at that threw away probably hundreds of pounds of food a day didn't want to encourage those homeless "bums" to hang around.

I would grab food before it hit the dumpster and take it out the back garage to the alleyways back in the day.  I was told by "loss prevention" to stop because I was encouraging them to come around.  I looked at him rolled my eyes and walked away.  Eventually I walked away from working for that snobby place too. 

The sad truth is any of us are not that far away from homelessness.  Compassion goes a long way in life and is the best form of "richness" there is.  Sadly, many have forgotten that.

shanice whitterposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That is soo true and I totally agree!

4. profile image56
    Mattysmomposted 3 years ago

So true ChristinS. I think its funny people are willing to stand on line for hours to buy Iphones and sneakers but to give $1 to the less fortunate is not within them.

working