jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Just started a finance hub!

1. JacquiD profile image58
    JacquiDposted 7 years ago

Hey everyone! I just started my finance hub.  I have some great ideas percolating from personal experiences, and years of sales experience ;-) .  Any advice?  Or things anyone would like me to research, ideas on future topics?  I believe my first article is going to be on buying a car, from a car salesman's perspective: what to look for, how they're going to haggle, and 5 ways you'll get ripped off.  Or something like that lol.

1. profile image0
      Amie Warrenposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Please explain how to sell something without being obnoxious. I hate sales people. I've never met one that isn't overly aggressive, pushy, and downright annoying.

1. JacquiD profile image58
        JacquiDposted 7 years agoin reply to this

unfortunately, they're trained to do that most of the time. It takes a certain skill to sell without those qualities

2. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

Good luck. Although I'd recommend you learn about keyword research - finance is a heavily competitive area. smile

3. J. McCoy profile image60
    J. McCoyposted 7 years ago

I agree with WryLit. Misha has great info on keywords, adsense, and  generating traffic in general. I haven't read your hub yet. But, I can also recommend a good sense of humor. Personal finance is boring to most people. Make sure you break your message down to the language you find in the Dummies Guides" or "Idiots Guides" Not that your readers aren't intelligent. But, buzzwords used by financial veterans will turn off and confuse many who don't live and breathe it everyday.

Wish you the best and have fun!

4. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago

For most people regular purchase of no load, low cost, tax efficient mutual funds like those provided by Vanguard is the best answer. Three funds will do the trick: Index 500 (large companies), Index Small Cap (Small and medium size companies) and Total International (broad based international fund). Also John Bogle recommends allocating a percentage of your savings to government bonds equal to your age.

Two good books:

"Winning the Loser's Game" by Charles Ellis

"Unconventional Success" by David Swenson

Also, "The Money Game" by Adam Smith (nom de plume.

Needless to say, if your employer offers a 401k plan with a company match you should take advantage of it.

Many advisers say you should save and invest 15% if you expect to continue your standard of living when you retire.

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image75
      Wayne Orvisburgposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I once heard 10% to gold is a good idea. That's pretty obvious now!

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Storage charges for gold tend to eat up the appreciation. Gold mining stocks may be a better way to go.

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image75
          Wayne Orvisburgposted 7 years agoin reply to this

IF I could buy gold, I would seriously store it at home or somewhere cheap and close by. If everything were to collapse, I'd still have a currency everyone would take.

1. hudlife profile image60
            hudlifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you stored it at home, and everything collapsed, you would also need the wherewithal to keep the gold in your possession.

5. GmaGoldie profile image78
    GmaGoldieposted 7 years ago

Taxes are going to be a hot topic - do follow Wrylilt's advice - research the key terms and the competition first.

6. hudlife profile image60
    hudlifeposted 7 years ago

Good luck with the finance hub! That's also a big interest of mine. I have written a couple of mortgage refinancing related hubs.

7. The Loan Arranger profile image60
    The Loan Arrangerposted 6 years ago

Are you going to be just covering finance in the USA or have you any experience of the UK finance industry?  If not, I might be able to help out if needs be.

working