- Politics and Social Issues»
- United States Politics
OBSERVATIONS OF THE OVAL OFFICE SPEECH
EVALUATION OF THE SPEECH
The evaluations below are a consensus of those voiced last night after the speech.
- We cannot afford another massive tax increase.
- We cannot afford to pay over $5.00 per gallon for gasoline.
- We cannot afford to have electric rates skyrocket.
- The President was offensive in using this tragedy to advance his political agenda. It’s Rahm Emanuel’s mantra, ”Never let a crisis go to waste”.
- Where are the specifics on the source of alternative energy we are seeking to replace fossil fuels?
- We can’t afford the massive loss of jobs imposed by the stopping of drilling for over six months. These drilling rigs will go elsewhere and be unavailable for years. This will only increase our dependence on foreign oil.
These opinions were expressed by Steve Scalese R. Louisiana, Mary Landrieu D. Louisiana, James Carville Democratic strategist, David Vitter R. Louisiana Senator, Haley Barbour, R. Governor of Mississippi, and a host of others on CNN and Fox News.
REACTION TO THE SPEECH
This was a great opportunity for President Obama to finally show leadership. Sadly he missed the mark once again. This speech was purely an attempt to further his political agenda of Cap and Tax. This is the first time in my memory I saw condemnation on Fox News and CNN at the same time over President Obama’s speech. All of Hannity’s guests were unanimous in their condemnation, which was expected, but the condemnation I saw on Larry King Live was like a breath of fresh air. James Carville, Senator Mary Landrieu, and other prominent Democrats were also unanimous in their condemnation. They were outraged at president Obama using the tragedy that befell them in the Gulf to further his political agenda.
It’s not often we see such agreement on a speech both Republicans and Democrats rejecting the President of The United States. Of course when I checked Rachel Maddow she was discussing a completely different subject, the senatorial race in Nevada.
We are at a time in the history of The United states of America where we can’t afford to be led by a rank amateur. We need true leadership not political posturing. I was hopeful to hear real solutions last night but instead I got the same demagoguery. Mr. President it’s time to let go of your agenda and lead this country back to that “Shining City on a Hill”!!!!!!!!!!!!!