What do budget cuts really mean?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7318709_f248.jpg
    Budget cuts are needed and wanted until my state needs the money...

New Jersey Republican Gov. Chris Christie, whose state has been battered by super-storm Sandy, said President Obama has been “outstanding” in his response to the disaster that hit the East Coast.
    Christie on Tuesday morning emphasized the severity of the damage, saying 2.4 million people are without power in the Garden State, and that there have been three deaths and substantial flooding.
    “It's a major disaster,” Christie said on NBC’s Today, adding, “We have a battered, battered New Jersey shore that I hope to tour a little bit later on today, but I think the losses are going to be almost incalculable.”

Christie called federal response “great,” and said that telephone conversations with the president and Federal Emergency Management Agency officials “have been excellent.” He said Obama called him at midnight to check in, the third time the two have spoken during the storm.
    “The president has been outstanding in this,” Christie said.
    Regarding funding for the disaster, Christie said he wasn't concerned with the budget process at the moment, touting the federal funding New Jersey will likely receive.
    “I think we'll get significant federal assistance on this, and the major disaster declaration last night by the president is incredibly helpful in that regard,” Christie said. “We'll work with our federal partners on this.”

Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, who Christie often represents on the trail and on morning shows, is considering a trip to New Jersey, the Associated Press is reporting. But Christie said on Tuesday he was unaware of any plans.
    “I have a job in New Jersey that is much bigger than presidential politics," Christie said on Fox & Friends. "I couldn't care less about that.”
    He echoed the sentiment on CNN's Starting Point, after mentioning his third conversation with Obama.
    (RELATED: Sandy Soaks Up Valuable Campaign Time)
    "(Obama) has been incredibly supportive and helpful to our state and not once did he bring up the election," Christie said on CNN. "If he's not bringing it up, you can be sure that people in New Jersey are not worried about that, primarily if one of the guys running isn't.”

Source: By Matt Vasilogambros | National Journal – 4 hrs ago

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am tickled when I think of Rep Paul Ryan criticising the stimulus program sponsored by the President, but was pretty fast about getting himself and his state into the trough to collect the benifits. Hypocrites all!

2. tammybarnette profile image60
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Justsilvie, Thank you for sharing this. I was impressed by Governor Christie, to leave rhetoric and campaigning behind to take care of his State, and I am so glad that he gave President Obama credit where credit is due, Obama never gets the credit he deserves on everything the man has accomplished. It is sad that it took a natural disaster for some to see the heart Of our POTUS. Obama is visiting victims and Romney is campaigning, hope people notice this as well. I had been reading an article a couple of days ago about Syria from a mideast news source, There was a picture of an apartment building that had been blown up by a car bomb outside. As I was looking at all the damage from Sandy I saw an eerily similar photgraph of an apartment building. Maybe this is the experience Governor Christie experienced...I know if all hell breaks lose in this country, whether by Mother Nature or otherwise, I want Obama as POTUS....

1. profile image0
        Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too!

2. xstatic profile image61
    xstaticposted 11 years ago

Wellll....it will be interesting to see how much heartburn this gives the RomOney campaign. FEMA budget cuts would almost surely be included in a Mitt budget, and then what happens in a disaster like this?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

There is no federal budget for disaster relief, and there should be.  There will always be natural disasters and taking the costs out as deficit is ridiculous.

1. xstatic profile image61
        xstaticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

FEMA has a an annual budget. This year it is $ 7.1 billion and the Budget Control Act will allow it to spend up to about $11.3 billion. Will it be enough to cover this disaster? Who knows? If the automatic budget cuts are not changed before January, it will lose about $9 billion for next year.

2. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

This is a good topic about aggressors who must back off when confronted by reality! Christie came across as gracious, but he really is trying to back up from his heated anti-Obama rhetoric now that he needs the president now and for at least two more months!

(I hate to think about our President not getting a second term. We are in big trouble if he does not. We are prone to some big disasters in our future and cannot afford extremist budget whacking.)

If that is the entire article, I do recommend that you cut out most of that article, give an introduction and post a link to the real article, or plagiarism could be charged! You are allowed to use part of an entire article.

1. profile image0
        Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do know the plagiarism rules and that forums are notorious for breaking them. If caught I will blame it on shock, since it is the first nice word about the President I ever heard come out of Christie's mouth and because it was too late to edit when I regained my senses.

3. Al Bacon profile image61
      Al Baconposted 11 years ago

The problem with budget cuts is that they are political in nature and seldom practical.  There are a great many things which can be cut which would reduce the budget with little or no affect on taxpayers.  For example, cut lifetime benefits for elected officials after they leave office - most if not all are already millionaires and lifetime benefits only add to their wealth.
      We can sell those billions of dollars of unused land and buildings owned by the federal government which cost millions to maintain and thus cut the maintenance for them out of a budget.
      We can cut those grants which benefit those who need them only to grow richer, such as the Wall Street farmers as opposed to those who farm for a living.
      Budget cuts most of the time mean that our elected officials are playing a shell game and we, the people, are picking the wrong shell.  We hear about high profile expenses but we don't hear about those that are low profile and yet raising the budget higher such as for example the HAARP program which many have never heard of and yet many suspect may have been responsible in part for changes in weather - Youtube has many good videos to show how that works.
      How many have heard of the some 50 million to be loaned to Tessla in order to build a new car and yet that could be cut out of the budget easily since if that is practical there are enough billionaires to build that.
      Budget cuts really are the propaganda tool of those who would convince us why they should be elected or re-elected and often mean nothing at all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)