Coal mining company that supported Romney lays off 156 workers.

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (29 posts)
  1. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

This is the company that had their employees stand behind Romney without pay. And this guy says a prayer and lays the workers off! Some Christian he is! Follow the money!

1. American View profile image62
      American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This was no surprise as they warned if Obama was re-elected this would happen. Closing of coal plants under Obama's regulations means less people working, more stress on the power grid, higher electric bills.

"The official statement put out by Murray's company cited Obama's alleged "war on coal," claiming federal regulations have "already (led) to the closure by 2014 of 204 American coal-fired power plants."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11 … z2CDbPaJxc

2. Drive By Quipper profile image58
    Drive By Quipperposted 11 years ago

Coal is over, anyway.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps in this country, but China is very interested in buying some coal from us, and setting up a coal terminal up near where I live.

Coal is actually very clean, surprisingly. It burns cleanly. Also, if you drop a handfull of coal into a stream, it doesn't have any toxic effects (it doesn't disolve in water, or anything) and can easily be filtered out.

Of course, nuclear energy also gets a bad rep, even though it's incredibly clean, too.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yup, coal burning is clean

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne … ities.html

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7365519_f248.jpg

From that bastion of the left wing (NOT), The Sun newspaper

1. profile image0
          Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Stop trying to confuse me with facts!

2. kathleenkat profile image83

Since you absolutely *must* state your opinion on everything, here is another thing on which I'd *love* to hear your opinion: http://fossil.energy.gov/programs/power … cleancoal/

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
            Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, I am sorry I have an opinion. Would you rather I leave the forum?

I was just showing examples of certain cities around the world who rely on coal. You mentioned China, I showed examples of China. I'm sure coal can be made clean but the technology still has to improve... but the majority is not.

Sorry, that may have been worded a little harshly on my part. I apologize. I just notice that you have over six thousand posts, and have been active in literally every single topic I have been active in. From my point of view, it looks like you like to have an opinion on every thing I say.

2. profile image0
        Peelander Gallyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And incredibly dangerous. The same outdated generators used at the Fukushima plants are used all over the U.S. Why does it make more sense to invest so much money in finding, extracting and refining the rarest and most hazardous elements on Earth and then having to store the radioactive waste somewhere when you can just use the damn sun? If people were philanthropic and selfless by nature, solar technology would surely be advanced enough to provide more than enough energy for everyone by now.

Plus, have you ever actually seen a coal mining operation at work? I'd like you to name a method of extraction that doesn't decimate a large swath of land, release various heavy metals into aquifers and require mind-boggingly large equipment for transport. It's disgusting.

3. Drive-by Quipper profile image58
        Drive-by Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Give me a break. Coal isn't clean. That is why coal burning power plants are being dismantled. They pollute. They put mercury in the water and air along with a ton of other stuff.

China? They are the worlds polluters on the planet. Don't sell them coal. We all breathe the same air.

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/coalvswind/c02c.html

Argue with this.

Burning coal is a leading cause of smog, acid rain, global warming, and air toxics. In an average year, a typical coal plant generates:
        3,700,000 tons of carbon dioxide (CO2), the primary human cause of global warming--as much carbon dioxide as cutting down 161 million trees.

10,000 tons of sulfur dioxide (SO2), which causes acid rain that damages forests, lakes, and buildings, and forms small airborne particles that can penetrate deep into lungs.

500 tons of small airborne particles, which can cause chronic bronchitis, aggravated asthma, and premature death, as well as haze obstructing visibility.

10,200 tons of nitrogen oxide (NOx), as much as would be emitted by half a million late-model cars. NOx leads to formation of ozone (smog) which inflames the lungs, burning through lung tissue making people more susceptible to respiratory illness.

720 tons of carbon monoxide (CO), which causes headaches and place additional stress on people with heart disease.

220 tons of hydrocarbons, volatile organic compounds (VOC), which form ozone.

170 pounds of mercury, where just 1/70th of a teaspoon deposited on a 25-acre lake can make the fish unsafe to eat.

225 pounds of arsenic, which will cause cancer in one out of 100 people who drink water containing 50 parts per billion.

114 pounds of lead, 4 pounds of cadmium, other toxic heavy metals, and trace amounts of uranium.

I am flattered and tickled pink by the effort you put into this post, so I guess I'll take a couple seconds to respond to it:

We have the technology to cleanly mine, move, and burn coal. And we do.

Building this terminal up here would be excellent for our economy. We have a very high unemployment rate.

That is all I have to say on the subject.

1. Drive-by Quipper profile image58

Don't flatter yourself. Have you ever heard of "cut and paste"?

Leave my mountains and streams alone. It is a new era for energy. Get on board.

They aren't "your" mountains and streams. They belong to whomever owns the property, be that the government, a farmer, or someone with a coal mine.

1. Josak profile image61
                Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually they are everyone's, or should be as they pollute the whole water board and affect everyone.

I don't disagree.

But Drive-By-Quipper has no right to tell the city of Ferndale that they can or can not build a coal train terminal on their land. Like it or not, unless its government-protected land, the control over what people do with their own land doesn't exend much past "you can't drill XXX without a permit" or "you can't build YYY because this isn't a YYY zone."

2. Drive-by Quipper profile image58

I thought you weren't going to say any more on the subject.

Tecumseh said, " That is how it was at first, and should be still, for the land never was divided, but was for the use of everyone. Any tribe could go to an empty land and make a home there. No groups among us have a right to sell, even to one another, and surely not to outsiders who want all, and will not do with less.

Sell the land?! Why not sell the air, the clouds, and the Great Sea, as well as the earth? Did not the Great Spirit make them all for the use of his children?"

The coal barons do not rightfully own the sacred mountains.

Ah, but the laws say they do.

And we are on a different subject from the original one of whether coal can burn clean, on which I have nothing further to say.

2. profile image0

You just keep repeating yourself - "No, trust me, it's clean" - without giving any actual examples. I hope a coal terminal is built in your area, you deserve it.

As rude as that was, let me refer you to my previous post, which you neglected to see the first time you replied to this topic:

2. profile image0

The only problem with trying to steer China and other developing nations away from coal is that they then accuse the U.S. of trying to hold them back, avoid having them become competitors, and claim that their people aren't being allowed the development that would afford them a first world quality of life. Everyone knows about the suffering the Chinese have experienced at the hands of their rapidly expanding GDP, and if you informed and asked the people it'd be different, but that's the whole point of keeping them quiet and barring them from using social media. The government knows cheap fossil fuel technology is horrible for the environment; visibility in Beijing is measured in metres. They just don't care, because it's so cheap and fast. Bogging yourself down with EPA-like regulations, complaints about working conditions, cancer rates and poisoned water... Screw it, no one has time for that.

I am curious as to why you think it is the US's job to "steer other countries" away from coal. Why should we call the shots? What makes you so certain that what we do is the best way to do things? That's why they feel restricted by us.

4. rhamson profile image70
        rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nuclear energy leaves a very nasty disposal problem that nobody has rectified. Wait till the holding facilities start leaching into the water table and the five legged toads start cropping up.

No, I think it would be three-eyed fish:
          http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OOjrzKYzwaY/Scu7peSSKrI/AAAAAAAAAHs/7hOVK_Jx46Y/s200/bart-3-eyed-fish258.gif

Or, Three Mile Island.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/images/3mile/3mile1.jpg

2. profile image0

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7366457_f248.jpg

Hey, I know that guy!

3. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Coal is far from over. It's inexpensive and now is less polluting than other types of fossil fuels, including natural gas.

By pushing coal out the door - Obama has opened another door to high energy costs and more people being unable to heat their homes in the winter.

Bad move on his part. Very bad move.

Turn Fox News off and think for yourself for the next 4 years. Fossil fuels are over. BP - beyond petroleum.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)