Iceland had the guts that we dont

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Moderndayslave profile image60
    Moderndayslaveposted 11 years ago

The financial meltdown that was caused by the banks in 2008 has been thrust upon the shoulders of American citizens to bail them out. The reasoning was they are "Too big To Fail" The
    repercussions of this are still being felt.  today  Iceland said otherwise,placed blame where it belongs and they are now recovering.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/201 … ial-crisis
    http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/01/29 … nd-speaks/
    http://www.greenewave.com/other-countri … ails-them/
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/02/2 … ge-Relief#

The fact that Wall St and Washington are linked by a revolving door is no secret and is the absolute reason no one has been punished to date.. The question is?,,,, Why do we put up with it?

1. profile image56
      Education Answerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We, the average American, puts up with it, because we are no better than these irresponsible businesses.  We spend money we don't have.  We live beyond our means.  We save too little.  When the economy goes south, we blame big business as if it is less financially responsible than we are.  "It was that bank's fault I'm in so much debt.  It should have never offered this kind of loan."  Don't we own part of the blame too?

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

mmm... good points.

2. Zelkiiro profile image88
        Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, the difference is that the average American doesn't make shady deals to get those loans.

But yeah, when news of HSBC's (or whatever it's called) higher-ups avoiding jail-time because they're "too important" reached my ears, I nearly projectile vomited right there. That's bullshcrap of the highest caliber.

1. profile image56

I certainly do believe the banks and the government own part of this problem, but nobody twisted people's arms to get them to sign mortgages.  The citizenry owns part of this financial debacle.

3. Moderndayslave profile image60
        Moderndayslaveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The first bailout was AIG so TBTF's Goldman Sachs primarily, could get paid 100 cents on the dollar for the mortgages they repackaged. The banks knew they were going to fail and then took out ins.on them. During this period  these mortgages were repackaged and sold to municipalities, private investors and pension funds.  Exotic Financial Instruments? What?  Derivatives, Credit Default swaps ? They are more like bookies taking bets on the super bowl coin toss than "Banks" People lost their jobs and then their homes and cars because of this.

1. profile image56

Yes. . .the government has been promoting home ownership for years.  Everybody knows that banks were lending money to people who would have never gotten a loan thirty years ago.  Is it the banks who are at fault when the government offers secured loans for these people and then promotes home ownership as if the economy is strong?  Part of that blame has to fall on the government and the people who signed those mortgages.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
            Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There were many stories written back when this happened about the crooked mortgage brokers, but there is indeed a problem when someone can't figure out on their own (or admit) that they can't pay a $4,000 a month loan on a $2,000 monthly income. That's an extreme example, but I remember reading a few anecdotes that were about that bad.  Brokers told people not to worry, that they could refinance right away, or other stories that allowed them to believe they could have the dream of home ownership.

Banks (and finance companies) didn't properly monitor the paperwork, and there were numerous cases of bad brokers submitting fraudulent income amounts (they didn't even have to document income in many cases).

We are not bailing out the homeowners (as was the spin put on it by government) we are bailing out the finance industry. They just masked it by saying they wanted to help the 'poor homeowners' caught in the mix.  I agree, it is sad for people who wanted badly to believe they could own a home, and found out it didn't add up financially (despite the lies they were told). But they should bear some responsibility for not recognizing they were trying to spend more per month than they were making.

People didn't repackage the mortgages as investments they knew would fail. What ever happened to getting "Approved" for a mortgage? I don't remember it being "Self Serve" When I bought my house.In the late 80's I put 20% and they put me through the ringer. The bankers never saw a fee they didn't like. So all those mortgage applications and approvals were a gold mine.

2. The Suburban Poet profile image83
      The Suburban Poetposted 11 years ago

I don't mean to sound heartless but an ADULT can figure out if they can afford it or not. I've purchased at least five homes in 30 years and EVERYTIME everything was disclosed. I was offered financing far above the value of the home I purchased (meaning I could have bought a larger home) but I knew my income levels and my budget. I didn't consider the mortgage company to be evil or the bad guy. I just found homes that were in a certain price range based upon my income and ability to make a certain downpayment. I have ALWAYS made money on the sale of the homes except for my first purchase (a condo in Dallas in 1983) and NEVER missed a payment. Sorry if that sounds braggadocious but you have to know what your doing. Or else just rent.

1. profile image56

You make good points.  The problem here is that so many people want to put all of the blame on banks or George Bush.  Yes, they should own part of the blame.  Shouldn't the people who spent more than they could afford also own part of the responsibility? 

If you go to a car lot, ask to drive a fancy car, and then qualify for a car that you can't really afford, is that really the car lot's fault?  Houses aren't a whole lot different.  Blame Bush and banks for their fair share, but they are only responsible for part of the problem.

So much for the "Financial Planners" that reside behind the desks in the bank branches. Are there financially ignorant people out there ,yeah but I'm sure they weren't getting talked out of these loans. Nobody remembers the Countrywide commercials? There are other factors that made people who were paying their loans lose their jobs which in turn caused them to lose their home.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Recession 
          The Fed also has it's role in creating "Bubbles"
          We really need to smarten up about them also.
          http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/01/30 … debt-trap/

3. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

If you were around in the fifties ,sixties and seventies , and you were trying to get a loan . You would remember how hard it used to be to get , build or borrow good credit !   Co- signers , denials  and difficulties .    In the last thirty years corporate America has utilized the " buy here pay here " used car lot mentality !
      Want a home , a car , a credit card ? Just sign here , give me ten dollars , every dime you have and ever will have and  your first born son !
      "Don't woory about fine print !  I 'm getting paid by the amount of loans I make in one today !  Oh , you only  make $ 6oo dollars a month !    I'm just going to put that in the weekly column ! That makes in $2400 a month ....see there you are  .....a new house ".

4. Moderndayslave profile image60
      Moderndayslaveposted 11 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)