Is Thinking?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

What is your approach to thinking.  If you look at the title of this forum you may be wondering aka thinking.  Is thinking what? Did the rest of the title get deleted?  What is tireless thinking.  It a musing for the day or is their something serious on her mind?  This is entirely serious. 
    Think.
    http://townhall.com/columnists/thomasso … e-n1581910

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My first thought, before I even opened the thread was motive... your motive was to cause us to open this thread in order to satisfy our curiosity. My thought pattern almost always goes straight to motive. Don't know why, but motive is really important to me.

2. ytsenoh profile image61
      ytsenohposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good subject.  We can generalize people by saying most of them don't think.  I think the problem is that most people don't listen, really listen.  Some people really lack awareness too, which is a product of not processing thought in an effective manner.  Your title actually reminded me of an old poem, and I can't recall the poet quickly, but there's a phrase in it that says, "let be, be the finale of seem."

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
        tirelesstravelerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So true.

2. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 10 years ago

Most people don't think. I'm convinced that's the only explanation for the state of our society.

They have had neuro-pathways formed for them already, and most of their existence is just experience one kneejerk reaction after another.

1. profile image0

Interesting.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

About 75% of people vote the same way as their parents did. Their way of thinking is formed by what they are taught.

The brain is an interesting thing. When someone tells you a new thought, a new pathway is created in your brain. The more times that thought is activated, the more that pathway is activated. The more the pathway is activated, the stronger the pathway becomes. Think of it like erosion:

You start with some relatively flat ground. Pour a little water in one spot, and it will form a channel. Pour a lot of water on that same spot, and the channel gets bigger and bigger. Same with the brain.

The majority of what we consider 'thinking' is nothing more than the activation of existing pathways.

1. profile image0

Yes, that sounds right. I have met quite a few ppl who are slow to speak and decide things... they are grounded in what they believe yet open minded. I so admire these ppl.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60

Very true.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60

Or it is easier to just go with the flow than to think?

3. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I have met some real gifted athletes, and some real special students and some artists that seem born that way. OK there may be some genetic contributions. But I have never seen someone born knowing how to think. (I assume here we are talking of a reptilian brain type of thinking function) I mean to say it is not a "God Given" gift, from birth, meaning a stupid mother does not produce offspring that are stupid but she can teach them to be stupid like herself. Those offended by the use of the term stupid do not understand it and should offended -- get it ;-)

Somebody has to teach us how to think. NO NOt what to think. How to think.

We do not offer such courses in public schools. Parents normally do not stop and think about how they think so it is hard to pass it on. Is thinking natural? Yes but like running you have to learn how to do it, or like so many people they never run correctly.

Thinking is an area of arrogance. They get Descartes backwards, I am therefore I think. Something like Sum ergo Cogito. Wrong.

When our society grasps the notion of teaching people how to think we will start having an informed citizenry and dumb politics will die. And our governance leaders will begin appropriate behavior. But that will not happen until then.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

...meanwhile what are the university professors teaching future teachers?
      I dropped out early on.
      Before they could indoctrinate me with their lies.
      and their conjectures
      and their surmises
      and their theories...
      based on lies and conjectures and psychological theories.

Open their brains and pour in as much knowledge as you can. Don't worry about whether your students are ready/ interested or not. Your job is to pour in as much information as you can from the second their day starts.

Thats what I was told by an Educational Psychology professor. Thinking not required at all. In fact thinking might block the teacher's flood of pertinent info.

4. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 10 years ago

I agree with this article.

But I will go further than what the article has presented. In our modern age we cultivate the idea of not thinking. Take on the job descriptions for instance, in my life I have seen a number of these job descriptions that spell out everything to do short of telling you how long you can scratch your bottom.

If there is ever a computer error do you really think it's the human they believe?

Look at how we converse with one another here on hub pages grabbing other people statistics, focus on other people's articles. If one were to formulate a concept based upon an argument what might be the first thing you would hear? "Where Is Your Proof?"

We implement and perpetuate this idea of not thinking.

5. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

Intriguing title.
    Is thinking, perhaps, as simple as turning one's brain "on?"
    Not learned but inherent in our humanness?
    Can we think without being trained or programmed?
    I think maybe we can and do, from a very young age.
    There are different kinds of thinking.
    Sometimes thinking is questioning.
    Sometimes thinking is problem-solving.
    Sometimes thinking is creative mental meandering leading to discoveries.. or nowhere.
    Sometimes thinking is judging.
    Sometimes thinking is a confusing jumble of intrusive ideas.
    That last one sounds very familiar to me.
    Time to stop thinking and turn the old tired brain... and the computer... off for the night.
    smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)