Richard Cohen Washington Post Controversy

1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 3 years ago

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ … story.html

Liberals are continuing to blast Cohen for what they perceive to be his "racism," based on this passage from his November 11 op-ed:

"Today’s GOP is not racist, as Harry Belafonte alleged about the tea party, but it is deeply troubled — about the expansion of government, about immigration, about secularism, about the mainstreaming of what used to be the avant-garde. People with conventional views must repress a gag reflex when considering the mayor-elect of New York — a white man married to a black woman and with two biracial children. (Should I mention that Bill de Blasio’s wife, Chirlane McCray, used to be a lesbian?) This family represents the cultural changes that have enveloped parts — but not all — of America. To cultural conservatives, this doesn’t look like their country at all."

What's amusing is most of the commentators are only showing this aspect of it:

"People with conventional views must repress a gag reflex when considering the mayor-elect of New York — a white man married to a black woman and with two biracial children. (Should I mention that Bill de Blasio’s wife, Chirlane McCray, used to be a lesbian?)"

Which is a little bit different than the full paragraph. 

The full context is given by the title: Christie's Tea Party Problem, and the rest of the article discussing the impact social conservatives may or may not have on the 2016 Republican presidential race.

It's bizarre to me that liberals are saying this somehow shows Cohen is racist, when he is actually referring to what he calls, "cultural conservatives."  Cohen is also not a conservative himself.

Some of his other articles include: Edward Snowden is no traitor, and Obama is Bush 2.0, but it's no upgrade.

One commentator summed it up very well.  He pointed out that the people who should be upset by this are social or "cultural" conservatives, not liberals.

To me, this makes my fellow liberals look like they have a reading comprehension problem.

What say you?

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think he was trying to illustrate a point about people with conservative views, not expressing his own. 

I do, however, think he missed the mark horribly and stereotyped those with "conventional" views.  Implying that all who hold "conventional" views are racist (to the point that an encounter with a biracial couple causes them to gag) is narrow minded and shows amazing ignorance. 

He'll likely realize shortly that he needs to find something to help him extract his foot from his mouth as regards ALL of the groups he's insulted here.

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what I think the case likely is.

If anyone should be "offended," it should be conservatives.

working