Should the Federal Reserve be Abolished - Can it be Reformed?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 9 years ago

Here is what the Federal Reserve describes as its charter:

" The Federal Reserve System, often referred to as the Federal Reserve or simply "the Fed," is the central bank of the United States. It was created by the Congress to provide the nation with a safer, more flexible, and more stable monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve was created on December 23, 1913, when President Woodrow Wilson signed the Federal Reserve Act into law. Today, the Federal Reserve's responsibilities fall into four general areas.

1)   Conducting the nation's monetary policy by influencing money and credit conditions in the economy in pursuit of full employment and stable prices.
    2)    Supervising and regulating banks and other important financial institutions to ensure the safety and soundness of the nation's banking and financial system and to protect the credit rights of consumers.
    3)  Maintaining the stability of the financial system and containing systemic risk that may arise in financial markets.
    4)    Providing certain financial services to the U.S. government, U.S. financial institutions, and foreign official institutions, and playing a major role in operating and overseeing the nation's payments systems."

source; http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/about_12594.htm

Critics say it has become too powerful and too non-transparent in its actions. I agree. Its actions have affected or created so many economic beasts, like Fractional Lending, that I think it has become more of a facilitator than a monitor.

Although in our modern and globalized monetary systems and economies some mechanism is needed, I believe it should stick to charter point #1 and leave the rest to the Treasury Dept.

What say you?

GA

1. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is funny you should bring up this topic as I am currently reading a book by Eustice Mullins: Secrets of the Federal Reserve whereby she attacks these principles directly.

http://www.radicalpress.com/?p=442

The Federal Reserve in its efforts to control the economy has crashed it on several occasions. In the twenties they were pissed that the mid west and western banks in charge of the agricultural loans would not agree to national and international banks governing their business and refused to join the Federal Reserve system. In the 1920's the Fed caused the money market to dry up for them and bankrupted many of them in retaliation.

In efforts to keep Europe from crashing in 1929 and put them back on the gold standard the Federal Reserve sold enough gold to make the dollar insolvent and the run on the banks was a confluent result with the paper currency glut that was proven to be valueless in an inflationary crisis..

Recent efforts by some bi-partisan congress members have pushed for an audit of the Fed to delve into the dark secrets they refuse to expose.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpbW64vR … Nsgw3D6k6w

The big question should be is how to find an impartial and powerful way to guide the economy that is accountable and non threatening to our financial security. Bottom line is who would we trust in their absence?

GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your points are similar to some of my readings, (in particular the Fed's culpability in The Great Depression) - the ones that caused me to pose the original question.

At this point, I think legitimate public auditing and the sunshine of enforced transparency might be the best first steps in determining if the Fed can be reformed to better suit our national interests, or if it should be abolished.

GA

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
          Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Let it go.

I don't know how we could let it go as money is what runs this country. Without culpability from the mismanagement  of the countries money supply we open ourselves to a massive meltdown where everyone loses, even the rich. Apathy will only breed failure.

The Federal Reserve acts as a national bank, which in the eyes of James Madison and Thomas Jefferson is not advisable.

Jefferson:
              " I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground: That " all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States or to the people." [XIIth amendment.] To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress, is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/bank-tj.asp

The National Bank which James Madison eventually proposed, despite his opposition to it (!) during his presidency, looked like this:

"There were... nonnegotiable conditions for the establishment of the Bank of the United States.

Among these were:
                That the Bank was to be a private company.
                That the Bank would have a twenty-year charter running from 1791 to 1811, after which time it would be up to the Congress to approve or deny renewal of the bank and its charter; however, during that time no other federal bank would be authorized; states, for their part, would be free to charter however many intrastate banks they wished.

That the Bank, to avoid any appearance of impropriety, would:

* Be forbidden to buy government bonds.

* Have a mandatory rotation of directors.

* Neither *issue notes nor incur debts beyond its actual capitalization,*

* That foreigners, whether overseas or residing in the United States, would be allowed to be Bank of the United States stockholders, but would not be allowed to vote.

* That the Secretary of the Treasury would be free to remove government deposits, inspect the books, and require statements regarding the bank's condition as frequently as once a week."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Bank … ted_States

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"Furthermore, they contended that the creation of such a bank violated the Constitution, which specifically stated that congress was to regulate weights and measures and issue coined money (rather than mint and bills of credit)."

Interesting excerpt form a letter from Madison to Jefferson:
                "...That these must fail is morally certain; for besides the proofs of it already visible in some States, and the intrinsic defect of the paper in all, this fictitious money will rather feed than cure the spirit of extravagance which sends away the coin to pay the unfavorable balance, and will therefore soon be carried to market to buy up coin for that purpose. From that moment depreciation is inevitable. The value of money consists in the uses it will serve. Specie will serve all the uses of paper. Paper will not serve one of the essential uses of specie. The paper therefore will be less valuable than specie."
                http://www.constitution.org/jm/17860812_tj.htm
                More good info:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve_Act

Great collection of quotes and information. The founding fathers were much less in favor of a strong federal entity save a few such as Hamilton. They did not even favor democracy with Jefferson's quote of mob rule. The real crux of the matter took place with Wilson and Warburg who changed the whole process over to one where the privately held banks got to share in the wealth through the countries debt in the process. The rich elite have been running it since with fleecing the treasury and loading it up with debt from its inception. Recent chairmen of the Fed have refused audits or accountability with their dealings and will continue to do so until required. They rely on our stupidity to change anything.

I was reading in Eustace Mullins book "Secrets of the Federal Reserve" where through essentially writing themselves checks on Government Securities they were able to increase their net worth from 46 Million dollars to 136 billion dollars in a little over 35 years. Who else knows about this or even cares?

2. Superkev profile image61
    Superkevposted 9 years ago

I don't know as much as I wish I did about the Fed, and I don't know what the wide ranging effects of it being abolished might be good or bad. But I do agree with Rand Paul in that, at minimum, it should be subjected to an independent (truly independent mind) audit.

Beyond that I am not well versed enough in the subject to comment on it.

Even though I started the thread, I am almost in the same boat as you, ie. not that well-informed about the Fed - yet.

I too agree with Rand Paul's non-transparency complaint. Rumors of non-public, (as in secret), Fed loans and private bailout deals leave me with suspicious doubts.

I can see a need and a primary function for the Federal Reserve, but I don't think what we have now is in our best interests.

GA

3. CWanamaker profile image95
    CWanamakerposted 9 years ago

Yes, the federal reserve should be abolished.  It's insane to think that an institute like this has so much power over the American people.  How is printing money without any backing a good idea? Just like many of the the things the federal reserve does, it's not a good idea.

But it does have backing, the USG.

But the reasons and justification for the printing are, as you suggest, a problem.

GA

1. CWanamaker profile image95
        CWanamakerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The USG isn't tangible nor does it have any inherent value.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

"The Federal Reserve Act (ch. 6, 38 Stat. 251, enacted December 23, 1913, 12 U.S.C. ch. 3) is an Act of Congress that created and set up the Federal Reserve System, the central banking system of the United States of America, and granted it the legal authority to issue Federal Reserve Notes (now commonly known as the U.S. Dollar) and Federal Reserve Bank Notes as legal tender. The Act was signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson." W

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Jefferson:

"To give them the sole and exclusive right of banking under the national authority; and so far is against the laws of Monopoly."

"It would reduce the whole instrument to a single phrase, that of instituting a Congress with power to do whatever would be for the good of the United States; and, as they would be the sole judges of the good or evil, it would be also a power to do whatever evil they please."

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/bank-tj.asp

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)