Why are some people HOT—and some people NOT?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image81
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11910806.jpg
    Is it genetic programming, charisma or highly developed “people skills” that make some people human magnets and other people human repellants?

2. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

self confidence and poise are magnets

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like a byproduct of highly developed "people skills." Do you think it is possible to have self confidence and poise and NOT have highly developed people skills?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know when a person has love in their hearts no matter how they "seem"… (when not particularly charming.)
        But, I don't always know when they don't, (have love in their hearts.)
        I am easily tricked by sheer charm. And yes, some people have charm without being particularly loving types of people.
        ...and that is odd to me.

I agree that charm can be captivating. One thing to note is that if it is not real ... the person will eventually let his/her guard down. If an individual can be patient; the true colors will show. It is only when we get in a hurry that we get fooled. This is what those charmers count on.

2. firstday profile image60
        firstdayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jacqueline4390  anything is possible

This is true.

3. savvydating profile image89
        savvydatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is possible to have poise without confidence. Poise is a learned habit. But your question is not about poise, charm or people skills. Rather, your question is about being "hot."  "Hot" has to do with having sex appeal. That's a difficult thing to pinpoint exactly, in that one can be confident and poised, but not particularly "hot" per se. That being said, confidence in one's sex appeal (for whatever reason) goes a long, long way. However, not all "hot" people are "charming.". In essence, "hotness" has to do with both raw and refined sex-appeal. There is an honesty to having sex appeal. It just exists; it is out there, and it is difficult to hide because it "sexually" charges the air it emcompasses. Hotness is a rare quality, which is why it's pretty much impossible to resist. I will say, however, that true hotness is not vulgar. Vulgarity is really rather benal.

Very interesting. Perhaps it is true in the remedial sense that hotness refers to a dynamic sexual appeal but I was reaching beyond that boundary. I was looking more to why some people seem to be "IN" or why some people are able to attract a wider spectrum of people while others ... try as they might don't seem to have the dynamics that "Win people."

Example: One individual calls a meeting and practically everyone attends but another person calls the same type of meeting a month later and no one attends even though the meeting is a required follow-up.

If my question is misleading, I do apologize. I am not referring to sexual appeal but people appeal in my reference to "hotness" ... I repeat. :-)

1. savvydating profile image89
            savvydatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I see. I wondered why you chose the picture of business people. You were thinking "hot" commodity, I suppose. Well, in that case, it has a lot to do with natural charisma, charm and humor, in my opinion. So, everyone here is on the right track. I was off track. Lol.

I appreciated your comments. Yes, I had hoped that my photo would shed some light on what my perceptions were. I thank you most graciously for your comments and value the opinions of each and everyone that takes the time to comment.

2. profile image58
      retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Cary Grant was an awkward, cockney, boy with little formal education and poor on screen presence. He said he decided to change all of that, he did. Larry Byrd sounded like a hick from my home state of Indiana, he decided to change that and hired a speech coach to help him gain more confidence speaking. He didn't lose the Hoosier twang but he vastly improved his speaking skills.

It can be done. People can become more than they ever thought they could be.

1. firstday profile image60
        firstdayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

retief2000 sounds like you know a bit on that subject…I would love to read a hub on it.

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image81

Thank you for those wonderful examples.

So would I be correct in deducing that there are actually two types of successful or "hot" people. Those who have a natural inane ability to succeed and those through perseverance achieve status? And, of course sometimes those with natural ability will do what it takes to expound on it.

If I may be so bold as to reference the one with five talents gained five more. The one with two talents gained two more but the one with one talent hid it and as a result his one talent was given to the individual that had ten.

1. profile image58
          retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that the ability to succeed is innate, instead, I think it is a matter of striving for a desired outcome. The specific accomplishment one might identify as success varies by individual. Pope Francis, Steve Jobs, Payton Manning and J.J Abrams would all define the specific means by which they have achieved success or some modicum of success, as successful people are often modest in claiming success, entirely differently each from the others, yet, each has been successful.

I suspect that success is more process than accomplishment.

Success is what YOU define it to be!
            Success is being happy with your life!
            Success is knowing yourself and how YOU fit into the big picture!

This is a sign that I made for myself and keep it over my main computer. It helps me to remember never ever to compare myself with anyone else. I think that success can both an accomplishment and a process. It can be a means as well as an end and as you say ... depending on the person.

3. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

I did not think you were referring to sexual appeal.  No worries…and you did say, "or highly developed people skills"  so that is why I went with poise and confidence.  Maybe you are asking why some people are natural leaders…not sure if that is what you are going for…if so I think enthusiasm is a good trait and people skills or not enthusiasm and wit go a long way.

Thank you firstday ... I believe this is more in line with what I am talking about. There are people who seem to gravitate to others. Those people who have a little "something" about them that you just naturally want to hear what they are saying ... you are excited about them. Then there are others who the minute they start to get up ... you begin to start looking in your purse for the cell phone or IPad and start playing "Candy Crush" until its over. That's what I mean.

I really appreciate you not thinking I was talking about sex. Kudos to ya'

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)