jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)

Idealism of youth ?

1. ahorseback profile image81
    ahorsebackposted 3 years ago

Question , Why does it seem to me that youth , say 17 to  25 or so , is so idealistic in debating , in protesting ,  in most discussions and in picking their fights in general ,..... that they do not see the grey areas in any debate , even in rather "intelligent " people ?  Is it just the  naiveté  of youth ?

1. Credence2 profile image81
      Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Older people realize that in spite of an ideal, the reality is most of the time quite different and our perspective of the world stems from this. Rather than being adamant toward one view or its opposite, the truth is somewhere in the middle

ahorsebackposted 3 years agoin reply to this

++++++

2. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Because they have not had the life experience that jades us with old age.

3. Dreamworker profile image99
      Dreamworkerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's part of it.  The other part is that many young people (and older ones as well) have never learned how to think and analyze and therefore are unable to see the nuances.  They look at the "now" but do not see consequences of actions.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image81
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

Its the age. Weren't we all the same at that age? Young adults want to change the world for the better…like knights galloping forth on horseback, swords ready! You should know, ahorseback! LOL! big_smile
    (PS Did you ever pick up that slide guitar?)

3. ahorseback profile image81

Kathryn , I have picked it up although not much in the way of any talent in this boy ,  I guess my musical talent lies in listening to someone else play  ! LOL

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image81
      Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it really makes you appreciate that anyone can play like they do!
      A recorded song, a finished book, a completed painting. The process it took is a mystery and a miracle. Keep trying ahorseback! Just the pursuit is a worthy effort. You only need to to know three chords, according to Marc Bolan. Do you like Bonnie Raitt or Ry Cooder? or who?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4KmbUCwkyE
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE4P8r8 … freload=10

ahorsebackposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Oh all of the above , My all time favorite , Gordon Lightfoot !        I love anyone with the gift - you got it  Kathryn , I'm on my way over , I promise , I'll just close my eye's and listen ,LOL?

That is very kind of you to say, ahorseback. Thank you. I am taking piano lessons. I am a firm believer in teaching oneself and going at one's own pace. But, I have recently learned that being forced to do something well by a good teacher makes you learn beyond what you could ever do by yourself. I am "stuck" taking piano lessons from an older woman ( an excellent piano teacher) who is dependent on my weekly check. At first I was resentful, cuz I couldn't figure a way to get out of it…. I'm not that rich… but miracles happen every week and I have the money, so I go dutifully to her house for my lesson.
          and guess what…I am starting to get it. I am learning way more than I ever thought I could!
          I can improvise now and it sounds like real music… and starting to read and play a little too.

4. ahorseback profile image81

I'm so happy for you  Kathryn, I'll  tell you something odd , I always though that if I had the gift I would need no friends  or lovers or anyone in my life , Kind of selfish I know !  Yet as a loner of sorts , it would have helped a lot at times to have such a pleasing gift of music .    My memory's just not good enough for musical talent , LOL .

Maybe you were a musician in your last life… You wanted something better this time around…
      LOL just kidding.. what do I know! Do you like colors and shapes?  Painting is fun! You could study the basics of composition and do abstracts! Friends, lovers and the like are highly over-rated. lol

ahorsebackposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I like that Kathryn ,"  this time around ",  perjhap's that's why I write [ even poorly ] lol. , I have dubbed in oil painting and love it , yet time restrictions  are against me right now , one day perhaps .   I also love photography , seeing life and nature through the lens  gives us a different perspective on living , No ?

5. ahorseback profile image81
    ahorsebackposted 2 years ago

Kathryn , Ry Cooder is awesome !

Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

big_smile cool

6. ahorseback profile image81
    ahorsebackposted 2 years ago

Kathryn  , I have just lowered the neck nut [ string holder  at the neck  }of my dobro  so that I might try playing  in the Roy Cooder style rather than a lap guitar !  I'll let ya know how that works !.......:-}

working