jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Options for people too poor for insurance, too wealthy for medicaid?

1. peeples profile image88
    peeplesposted 2 years ago

In states that opted out of medicaid expansion what are the options for people who fall in the gap between not well off enough to afford $400-$800 a month in health insurance even through Obamacare, and too high income to qualify for medicaid are there any options? Are these people suppose to starve to afford health insurance, because these same people do not qualify for any form of assistance? If they don't buy insurance they are fined. What are they suppose to do?

1. bravewarrior profile image95
      bravewarriorposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Peeples, go into www.healthcare.gov. Fill out the information and they'll tell you what you qualify for. If your income is too low, they'll issue you an exemption certificate for 2015. If you qualify for the exemption, you won't be penalized on your taxes. You can also go through the application process over the phone by calling 1-800-318-2596. You may be better off talking to a representative. Gather your 2014 tax return and any current income information you have (last pay stub), monthly expenses, etc. It's worth a shot. I went through the process and received an exemption for this year.

1. peeples profile image88
        peeplesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks! Since a few months before finding out I have lupus my ability to work has been going downhill. I'm no longer working and we are paying out about half of what our house payment is per month on insurance. We have to keep it because I need it, but it's killing our budget. Starting to feel a bit helpless. Not sure what to do.

1. bravewarrior profile image95
          bravewarriorposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Call that number. See if they can help you, Peeples.

working