Republican Debates - A Travesty by the Media

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image69
    rhamsonposted 8 years ago

Having watched two of the GOP Presidential debates first hosted by Fox and then one hosted by CNN it sickens me the way they both decided to format the questions and answers. These are not debates as none of the time is spent on how the candidates will solve anything with any resolve instead devised and egged on by the moderation to engage in innuendo and character assignations. Pitting them against each other hoping for that headline grabbing "Gotcha" moment has nothing to do with who is qualified or has any idea what they can and will do once in office. Very little was brought up about how sluggish the economy is and how stagnant wages are for 90% of the work force. Some were trying to direct it towards a bash Hillary and Obama fest. The trade agreements weren't even mentioned instead claiming the trickle down gobbley gook of lower taxes sparking the economy will put us right again. Lindsey Graham seems to only want to start another war and doesn't even address any other issue very much.

Once again it will be up to the individual to independently investigate the candidates to see who can possibly be worthy of the job. What do you think?

1. bzirkone profile image54
      bzirkoneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Journalism in America is dead.  It no longer exists.  On the face of it, Americans appear to thrive on entertainment only.  Hard news, straight news--it's all just too much.  I wrote a lighthearted (entertaining) piece on it.  Happy to post it if you would like to read it.

rhamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Make it a hub and I will take a look. Thanks.

Can't do it.  They won't publish anything already published.  Either way..

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think with a group that large it would be almost impossible to have a meaty discussion on the issues. I think debates this early on are designed more to pique the interest of the voter; to investigate more closely the candidates they find appealing.

I do think there was a lot of negativity pushed by the moderators; in asking what some thought of what others were saying about them. But, honestly, I think it did a very good job of showcasing the fact that  Trump is responsible for a high percentage of that negativity and, that this is about all Trump has to offer. As the field thins and Trump is finally (and, thankfully) dropped to the wayside we'll have smaller groups and better debates.

2. RJ Schwartz profile image86
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

The ratings both networks received were epic - thus validating the perverse strategy of political theater.  This is indeed a travesty as people need to hear real solutions to the very real problems we are experiencing as a nation.  Sadly, we can expect more of the same and I'm certain future debate hosts are madly selling high value ad space for the events.  Follow the money.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

One feels as if one is being manipulated to choose one of the candidates.
    My wild conspiracy theory is: Bush is the globalist pick and I think they will get it.
    It seems Trump is there to make Bush look good. Trump IS the trump card.  Yet, there is no way HE can win. We all know that.
    I could be wrong.

4. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I got to watch the debt this morning.  Trump outright lied three times during the debt (that I know of).  Maybe he is not really serious about being the president.  I have to wonder if he is there for the pure entertainment of being on a reality show.   

I apologize for my negative comment. sad

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 8 years ago

The questions were stupid partly because many of the candidates say and do stupid things.  It's as simple as that.

That is not to say that the media doesn't ask stupid questions anyway, but many of the candidates have elevated the Stupid to new heights.

Which candidates in particular and what stupid thing specifically do you mean?

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

During the first Republican presidential debate, Donald Trump said that Megyn Kelly was being hostile toward him because she “had blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her… wherever”.  He's a narcissistic blow-hard who can't handle a tough question without insulting the questioner in the most boorish manner.  You want him running the country?

Jeb Bush said yesterday that his brother "kept us safe."  Huh?  9/11 happened on George W's watch.  That's about as unsafe as it gets. Oh, and let's not forget Katrina.  That's all Jeb could think of to say, because he certainly can't defend the Iraq War.  Oh, that's right, he did try to do that earlier and learned the hard way that wasn't gonna fly.

Donald Trump said he would force the people of Mexico to build his border wall to keep immigrants out of the United States, warning that if his order was not fulfilled, he would do something “severe.”  LOL

Mike Huckabee says the Kim Davis case shows we should ignore the Supreme Court.  Really?  Just ignore one of the three branches of government?  Such a patriot.

Okay, I see that you don't like The Donald, the Bush and Huckabee, but it's more  because you disagree with them politically.  Except Trump...and there isn't really any substance to discuss about him, but on the other two, you are likely a democrat and socially liberal.  So, would you say that you just disagree with them politically or that they are actually stupid?   That they do stupid things or just things you disagree with?

1. profile image0

First, I did not say they are stupid; I said they say and do stupid things.

Yes, I disagree with Huckabee and Bush politically, but I disagree with many people politically who do not say stupid things.  My husband is a registered Republican, for example, but he knows Bush did not keep us safe and he understands how the three branches of government work.  There are Republican candidates who understand the concept of the three branches of government and have stated they agree with Kim Davis' religious beliefs but also believe she should abide by the decision of the Supreme Court and do her job.  Fewer Republican candidates (maybe none) will acknowledge that W did not keep us safe, but if they state outright that he did, then that is a stupid statement.

My point is that many of the questions asked by the media were prompted by statements and positions of the candidates.  Stupid, especially among people who are supposed to be leaders, spreads like wildfire.

2. rhamson profile image69

As a famous movie character once stated, "stupid is as stupid does". These guys have spent a career honing their message towards winning votes and in more than none they have had a degree of success. That is why they can get funding and support or they would not do it. More than the stupid or pointed remarks they make you have to look at the appreciative followers of this stupidity to see why it even gets to this level. The candidates are just telling us what we want to hear to get our vote. It kind of slipped by, but Lindsey Graham outright told us during the debate that Congress lies to us. These guys are playing us and the media keeps them tugging on our heart strings with the dumb bat$#I! crazy stuff that they placate the idiots that believe them. The race is going to be decided by the Independents because the two sides claiming extreme polar opposite theory don't have the numbers to change anything. They will feed us another lousy candidate and lousy leader we will have no choice but to vote for. That is why we should open the primaries up to all so that an electable candidate may make it through.

1. profile image0

Agree with most of what you said.  However, I do think it matters who we elect to Congress and who we elect for President.  I am a bit less cynical than you, I think.

We need to get money out of politics.  I don't have the answers on how to do it, but ending Citizens United would be a good start.

You are totally correct in what you say. It does matter who we elect because in many ways it is more important than the President. But the craziness takes over and the electorate do not vote in their own best interest. This is mainly because we have a press that manipulates and digests the facts for us and then tells us what it all means or ignores some stories because it has no value to them. Who, what, where and when is what should be reported but more than not we get the why as our only report on whatever happens.

Publicly financed campaigns is the only fair way to control the money and influence it buys. Lobby reform that is not predicated on donations, gifts and money to express an opinion or direction on any issue. And lastly term limits to make sure the buddy system with all the negative contracts that congress protects itself from getting thrown out and or prosecuted for the influence they exude on others. We the people are last on the list of their concerns as it works now.

3. colorfulone profile image78
          colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think the clock is going to start ticking down for Trump.  In all honesty people cannot take him seriously for much longer.  I admit I took him at face value at first.

I will never forget 9/11. I cannot understand why people would think Bush should be in the top three republican candidates (he is a democrat like his brother and father IMHO).  He got in one great line toward the end and showed more energy but that's all I can say for the good. 

Huckabee did not get much air time and I would have liked to hear more from him. He did come across as a positive contributor to the republican candidate team for the debt though. Team players are important.

1. profile image0

Republicans have dug their own grave.  They made the decision years ago to pander to their base at all costs.  Now, the world is moving forward and their base is shrinking.  They abandoned reason and common sense in favor of anger and outrage, just to keep the Fox News crowd riled up.  Okay, now they are reaping the consequence of that.  People are laughing at them.  The serious voices have been drowned out by the clowns.  Sure, in the end someone a bit more conventional will eventually emerge as the candidate, but not before he or she has said many stupid things to cater to the angry Republican base, and those extreme positions will haunt them during the general race.

I think you are right. I also think the people are getting tired of the way things always seem to go and feel these clowns can make a difference. I want to hear more from Pataki and Kasich as reason seems to be more to their demeanor and not the lunacy Trump seems to stir up.

2. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Huckabee lost me a long time ago.  The only thing he has to offer is that his god, his religion and his personal interpretations of a specific religious tome take priority over the Supreme Court, any and all laws of the country and modern morality and he will do his best to force those concepts onto the general population if elected as President.  That's not something we need in a leader of the country.

6. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

Carly Fiorina did great as expected and I do think that she will continue to move up in the race.  I liked how she destroyed Trump for his stupid remarks about her face. Enjoyed that embarrassing look her remark provoked. 

She was astonishing with her closely.

1. profile image0

My husband liked her in the debate.  It will be interesting to see who rises above the crowd in the end.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)