Are left-wing politics destroying America?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (39 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

It seems that the more left wing, liberal or progressive the country gets its becoming a divisive country that resembles a cesspool of character.

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I guess as long as I was willing to stay on the 'back of the bus' and keep quiet, we would have had  a less divisive country.

why don't you elaborate on this, an example or two would help.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Out of curiosity are you old enough to have ever been asked to move to the back of the bus? If not, why would you bring that up? I don't think the question had anything to do with the era of the civil rights movement.

That is not the point, it not a matter whether I was old enough. The fact is, yes I was and I don't forget. The Era of the Civil Rights is never over, vigilence on the principle of these struggles for all in this society is still quite relevant.

Yes, the left is blamed for divisiveness. I think that it is fair to look at what is behind the divisiveness, everybody blames the 'sixties' for the rise of the 'divisive left' so lets cut to the chase and define what is so divisive?

You want to take a crack at that?

I'm not sure where you came up with all of that.

I see the divisiveness as a simple question of 'what is our government responsible for'? And, let's be honest about it. Tax dollars pay for government programs so it boils down further to 'how much work am I required to do to support my neighbor?'

So, you have on the right those who claim to not want to be a nanny state. I have noticed that many on that side get their fair share of aid from the government so I find it, in some ways, a hypocritical answer for them. On the left you have everything from universal health care to Sanders cry for free college education. I'm afraid it is as simple as the money. Who has to pay for what? It has nothing to do with attempting to figure out ways to create more seats at the front of any bus.

Reading the OP, it seems that he was talking about a broader scope. Yes, you speak of economics which is just one of the many areas that could be considered a source of divisiveness. What about adherence to the old time religion and how the left resists tradional family values, could that be a cause of divisivenss? How many different directions can you go in with the initial poster's open question?

There a lot of people getting aid for the government, do we get extreme and eliminate SS, Medicare, etc. You listen to voices on the Right, this is what your hear. Are those things part of the 'nanny state'?

Your point on the economics of the difference is valid, but I don't see why I have to subsidize corporations or support a ridiculously wasteful and bloated defense budget. So I have my problems with that too, but it comes from a different direction.

The 'bus comment' was figurative and not literal. It talks about an attitude that in the less divisive time, marginalized groups sat down and kept quiet. The fact that they no longer do, is by the Right considered divisive.

2. profile image0
              PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it is as simple as the money.  As a citizen and participant in the political process, I support those who share my values and want to spend my tax money accordingly.  So, what does that mean?  I support those who are reluctant to go to war, those who want to cut the bloated defense budget, those who want to increase taxes on the wealthy to previous levels,   and those who want to invest in infrastructure, education, health care, poverty, and a fair judicial system.

Our taxes are an investment.  It is up to us to vote for those who will spend that investment according to our values.

I would like to see a line item veto for the average citizen to go through. To see what the majority really wants to support. And, if the majority speaks they should have to listen. Shut down programs that we don't feel are an effective use of our tax dollars and don't just arbitrarily be willing to allow pork barrel spending to beggar us. And, of course, cut down on the ridiculous budgets we foot the bill for many individuals in our government.

So, are we really that different? There is a culture of waste, as a federal government contracting officer, I saw this first hand.

Agencies are told to spend all of their money even if it is on trifles, or have their budgets cut  in the next budgetary appropriation period.

No bid contracts, Haliburton, outrageous overhead and indirect cost rates. We were lining the pockets of contractors. So, who benefits from this? Billion dollar budgets for planes that never fly.

This mindset has been around long before Obama or Bush and even before the Era of Reagan when my career started.

This is something that both right and left can agree on....

2. mrpopo profile image71
          mrpopoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Divisiveness can be related to civil rights even today. We still have a certain level of divisiveness regarding gay marriage and abortion.

I think the point is that creating divisiveness does not necessarily mean a cesspool of character. I'm sure even Jesus was divisive in his day.

Of course it can. But, it is not the only thing that divides us as a society and I don't think it is the most problematic thing we are dealing with today.

1. mrpopo profile image71

I don't think anyone suggested it was the only thing that divides our societies. You seemed to be saying that his comparison to civil rights was irrelevant when it has some merit.

3. profile image0
          ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You have to understand liberals ,  Controversy HAS to be inevitably about them  , professional victim- ology IS the left in America , albeit  a much fractured victim-ology , BLM ,  college  kids chanting about  beer bongs ,   The native Americans ,    The illegal immigrants , It simply HAS to be all about them ! And they will place blame forever in the hands of those who actually  contribute to this society , the soldiers , the cops ,  Trump ,  Cruz ,  .

No problem that America ever suffers will ever be the fault of the left .

Unfortunately, I think professional victimology is a disease both sides of the aisle are infected with.

2. The0NatureBoy profile image56
      The0NatureBoyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The USA is being destroyed because the Constitution has never been implemented as "http://hubpages.com/politics/The-U-S-Constitution-The-Supreme-Law" shows us how it is supposed to be governed.  We the people either read in the constitution what we are told or do not read it at all.  If we actually understood it we would have shortly after 9/11/2001 filed something against government corruption like http://hubpages.com/politics/Why-And-Ho … Overthrown so as to end governmental corruption.  I filed an online petition which was ignored and finally filed something to the new Attorney General Loretta Lynch which the above will help me with if people will do what it asks. 

Therefore, the destruction of the US is because of the negligence of We The People which was destiny since the Constitution is called in the Bible (Rev. 12:5) a "rod of iron" by which the son of man will govern the entire world with.

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There was a two year old killed by an alligator at a Disney park recently, which is a sad thing to happen to anyone in my thinking.  However, when the news broke, leftists on Twitter were expressing that they were 'not sad' because the two year old was white. 

Feminist Brienne of Snarth, who has over 12,000 followers, said that she wasn’t upset about the boy’s death because he was white, commenting, “I’m so finished with white men’s entitlement lately that I’m really not sad about a 2yo being eaten by a gator bc his daddy ignored signs.”

Self-described feminist and Salon contributor Marcie Bianco felt it was necessary to take a swipe at the parents who bravely waded into the water to try and save their baby boy, expressing her annoyance that they aren’t being investigated by authorities.

Journalist Stacey Patton seemed to be more upset about the parents not getting death threats than the dead kid.

Another African-American individual felt the need to make a sick joke based on the victim’s race.

Others found the idea of the white kid getting eaten funny.

A user named Jon Davis thought the boy’s death was “karma” for his claim that “White savages routinely used black babies as gator bait.”

Another accused the parents of deliberately killing the boy.

Recall that in the aftermath of last month’s incident where a 3-year-old boy fell into a gorilla enclosure at a Cincinnati zoo, leftists were irate, complaining that the the zoo’s 17-year-old male western lowland gorilla, Harambe, would not have been shot dead if the boy was black.

Except the boy was black.

http://www.infowars.com/leftists-not-sa … hes-white/

Just an example of a "cesspool of character" s!

2. mrpopo profile image71

I don't know how much of that general divisiveness is attributable to the left or the right, or whether that divisiveness is evidence of a cesspool of character.

I do know that some extreme portions of the left are actually fighting against liberal principles in their idealism of political correctness and multiculturalism. In some cases they incorrectly equate Western society (and even more superficially, "whites" or "men") with racism and bigotry and oppression, which is why you see the type of reprehensible behaviour that colorfulone outlined below.

In that sense, these regressive leftists are divisive even within the left, because they are fighting against liberal principles.

1. PhoenixV profile image64
          PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You Seem like a civil, thoughtful póster mrpopo, I just posted this as an alternative to the lefty rhetoric getting ramped up off the scale. Ya hear what Joy Behar said about trump and Isis? You follow Sally kohns Twitter?

Thanks. I can be occasionally like that. Other times I lose my patience and act like a jerk. It's a work in process.

And yes, I've been seeing some of Sally Kohn's posts on Twitter being rebuked by more sensible people, like Dave Rubin: https://twitter.com/RubinReport/status/ … 5828389889

The fact that she's been equating mass murder with bathroom policies is incredible. She certainly fits the criteria for a regressive.

As for Joy Behar, I had no idea who she was but it does not surprise me that opinions originating from The View are lacking in substance.

2. profile image0
          promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Mrpopo, as a journalist who sometimes can't read well at the end of a 14-hour work day, and as someone who is firmly right of center in politics, I can tell you that one of the biggest factors in the divisiveness is Fox News.

That's interesting, I'd never have guessed you're right of centre. I am left of centre, so we seem to be on the same boat; you fighting against some of the irrational aspects of the right, and me fighting against some of the irrational aspects of the left.

How influential is Fox News, though? And in what ways are they creating this divisiveness?

1. profile image0
              ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

# 1- Fox news -   Lesson for liberals and even centrists , If you feel Fox news is beating the drums of freedom excessively , if they are calling out the imaginary or the  real enemies of our liberties , if they are extreme compared  to what you understand of your average connections to the televised media ;   Then  the reason that Fox news is the way they are IS because most televised  media is considerably left of center ; TO THE POINT of denial  of reality .

Yes , In my opinion , Not only is leftist televised media  destroying America , They are then destroying other countries  as well , those who's liberties and political ideologies are either similar to America's or  the  countries are actually dependent upon America's strengths   for the support of their own !   I tend to listen to mostly Fox for televised news and news radio for the  similar and often same  coverage .   

There is an new agenda  to leftist politics that is changing even traditional democratic ideologies,  I never really had issues with democrats , yet TODAYS democratic ideology is far different than it was even twenty-  thirty years ago.  How do I know , because I was there  voting as a democrat !  In all truth  , Democrat as a tag , should be changed and  lets face it .   It should be called  Socialcrat . why ?  Because everybody here fully realizes that ,that is a the new ideological swing to the left from even Democratic  points of view .

So from now on ,  lets term our two parties Republican and Socialcratic .

1. colorfulone profile image78

You just have a way of connecting dots that amazes me at times.

2. PhoenixV profile image64
              PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

For it to be unbiased, trustworthy news a liberal has to get a tingling feeling in their leg about it.

3. profile image0

I am often accused by conservatives of being a liberal and by liberals of being a conservative.

I don't take absolute positions in politics because most situations like this one are complex and require multiple ways of solving them. But most people see them as black or white because it's easier to think of them that way.

Your point about fighting against the irrational aspects of both parties is well taken. In the case of assault rifles, I have strong feelings about them because of a personal connection to the massacre at Virginia Tech. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with gun ownership.

Fox News uses a business strategy of presenting subjects in a way to trigger an emotional response  from its viewers on the right. Because of Fox's success, MSNBC developed the same strategy to appeal to viewers on the left.

I don't know how old you are, but 40-50 years ago, we had three TV channels. We now have hundreds. Demographic segmentation is necessary for channels to survive. In the case of Fox and MSNBC, the segmentation is based on political affiliation.

They are not news channels. They are news commentary channels.

4. colorfulone profile image78

I would never have guessed it either.  It feels like Alice in Wonderland Syndrome.  Please, excuse my dry sense of humor, Mr. Pope, I try.

The MSM is owned by six big companies and they run corporate DC and enact laws with legislators that receive all expense paid vacations to five star locations, etc.  Its so corrupt!   Not all journalists lace truths with lies, only about 85% are and they tend to be liberals who support the Globalist.

1. profile image0

I would be glad to prove it by talking about my views on how to restrict abortion, reward merit, push for more individual responsibility, maintain balanced federal budgets, put reasonable limits on welfare and other subjects to prove that I am right of center.

That's if you want to open an entirely new thread.  smile

1. profile image0

You sound a lot like my husband, who is a registered Republican. I am considerably further left on the political spectrum, yet we agree on many issues. Common sense is neither liberal nor consevative.

1. profile image0

Ah, you are my new best friend. Your last sentence is one of the best lines I have ever seen on these forums.

1. profile image0

[blushing]  Why, thank you!

2. colorfulone profile image78

My condolences for being personally touched in regards to Virginia Tech. sad   For me there is no distance in the realm of the spirit, I am touched by these tragedies deeply.  If my head was full of water, I would never stop weeping.

2. colorfulone profile image78

I wish you would talk about things you are passionate about and know a lot about.  I just may be able to sit at your feet and learn something I could value and appreciate. 

Realistically, some liberals I know personally will tell me that I am more liberal then they are on some social issues.  We are free to jump over the fence.

3. profile image0

What is your evidence that the country is becoming more left wing?

Is it the fact that the income disparity between rich and poor is the widest since the Great Depression?

Is it that the ratio of pay between CEOs and the average worker is now 303 to 1 compared to 20 to 1 in 1965?

Is it that our income tax rates are hovering near the lowest levels since World War II?

Maybe it's our military spending with a budget that is 7x larger than the next largest on the planet and larger than the rest of the world combined.

Otherwise, I don't know.

4. aguasilver profile image70
        aguasilverposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Of course, although your question should be retrospective, because liberal thinking already has destroyed the country.

1. profile image0

In what ways?

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

Recently the left has been responsible for making healthcare available to those who couldn't afford it before and for making it possible for any two people who love each other to make that commitment legal.  Those actions are only divisive to those who are more concerned about how much money they have and forcing others to believe exactly as they do. 

I think you might reconsider who you are labeling as divisive?

The extremes in our country are more vocal and visible than they have ever been able to be before.  Most people's beliefs fall somewhere in the middle.  We need to remember that the middle, the majority, are the people who make up the character of our country.  The few on each extreme are just the loudest.

1. profile image0

Well said, Kathleen. And it's not only liberals who want a better health care system.

4. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Do you guys think there's a possibility of  something strange happening to bring on the extreme liberals as far out as they are , perhaps inbreeding to a point of gene pool  pollutions ?......:-}

Just a visit to the light side ! Please ,hope  no one gets their panties in a bunch .

Anyone ever listen to Sirius  Radio-Brietbart Patriot News  Radio, seems pretty neutral .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)