Is There a Politcal Party Middle Ground?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (27 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 7 years ago

Is it time to consider a coalition government?

It is my opinion that neither party, Democrat or Republican, can win a national election with just their base. Both parties need some part of the Independent or undecided vote to gain an election victory.

The far Left seems to think that only they know best and cost does not matter, and the far Right seems to think their vision of God's edicts and their interpretation of individual freedoms are the only truths.

Where does that leave the rest of us? What if us Independents and undecideds just said the hell with it and voted our conscience with 3rd party candidates? How many election cycles would it take for the message to get through?

I think this election cycle provides the most stark proof that the "change" we need isn't a particular  Republican or Democrat candidate, but a change in the voter's perception that it must be one or the other.

I also think that voters that hold their nose and vote for the lessor evil are the biggest part of the problem. Candidates proclaim they are the change we need, when the real change we need is the disruption of the power of the two party system. That means voters think for themselves instead of blindly following their party.

GA

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You're right, GA. I don't think I've ever been so disgusted with our choices for POTUS. 330 million people, and Hillary and Trump are the best we can do? In this election, I think most people will be voting AGAINST a candidate instead of FOR a candidate.

GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but I also see another very worrying perspective - us voters are so upset with our politicians that many are willing to embrace, (or at least accept), a Trump candidate.

GA

1. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I will be voting AGAINST Trump.

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You speak the truth Kemosabe.

3. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hear hear. I've been saying that if we could just have a third party who puts fiscal responsibility at the foreground and keeps their noses out of the business of individuals we'd have a winner that the majority would support. Push the candidates forward.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that the Libertarian party?

1. profile image0
          promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No. The Libertarian philosophy is dog eat dog. You might read Ayn Rand's "The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism" when you have a chance. It's the party's manifesto.

“The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” - Ayn Rand

On a related note, Rand Paul, the Kentucky senator, pseudo Republican and U.S. Presidential candidate, was named after Ayn Rand.

1. profile image0

I have read that and am reasonably familiar with Rand's philosophy of Objectivism. However, I often hear Libertarians encapsulate their philosophy in that way.. It's when you dig deeper that you become horrified by the lack of concern for helping the less fortunate.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

I think we could at least promote a third-party that would be necessary for a major party's win - if we resisted the party promoted logic of voting for the lessor evil candidate. If we would vote our conscience instead of the party line.

If we did that and it caused the losing party to lose by a ton, then it seems logical they would reach out for that third-party's support next election. It might take a couple election cycles of pain, (depending on your ideology), but I think it would serve to promote a third-party's importance.

Would an Israeli or British-style coalition government be untenable to U.S. voters? Might such a government be more in-tune, (and thus responsive), to voters desires?

GA

1. profile image0

What prevents a flood of money from corrupting that party as well?

Nothing, except an educated voter. At least another party would dilute the flow and give the voter another choice. Which should lessen the pressure on the voter to follow the party-line regardless of desire.

GA

4. profile image0

No. The parties didn't cause this mess. We the voters did by forcing them to act the way they do.

Or don't we live in a democracy?

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

While voters may have "forced" the lying and wild claims about what a candidate will do if elected, they haven't forced the taking of bribes. the use of political power to punish those that don't agree, the tremendous partisanship, etc.  And most of all they haven't forced a lifetime tenure in congress.

1. profile image0

They "force" the taking of bribes by tolerating an election process that requires an enormous amount of money. They force political punishment and lifetime tentures by re-electing the same people over and over again and allowing them to act the way they do.

2. rhamson profile image71
          rhamsonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think you both are right. The voters ignore the downfall while the politicians gorge on the greed. The greed is now part of the system for the politicians survival. An endless cycle.

1. profile image0

Excellent point, Rhamson.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

Nope. It's not the voter's fault. We may be calling the tune, (even that could be doubtful), but the piper does not have to play it. And no again, we live in a republic.

GA

1. profile image0

We don't live in a democracy? We don't all have the right to vote? We don't have the ability to kick out a bad politician?

We did it with Nixon and nearly did it with Clinton. We can do it with anyone.

The Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution based on a combination of democratic and republican principles. That's why we have the right to vote. That's also why we get the government we deserve.

Nope, (again), we live in a Republic that uses the democratic process to elect our leaders. Semantics?

If our votes were from our own unmanipulated(sp) decisions then you would be right. But our votes are manipulated, and the major parties are the manipulators. We may give them the power, but it is they who choose how to use it.

If we were not susceptible to the influence of the power and money that the parties wield, then you would be right, the blame would all fall on the voters shoulders.

GA

1. profile image0

I agree if it's semantics. So it is not nope again.

It is unrealistic to think that our votes have never been or never will be manipulated. For that reason, we have a free press that the right hates so much.

The fact that it is declining has led people to other sources of information that they accept without question. Much of it is propaganda that they want to believe. So once again, the voters bear the responsibility.

If conservatives truly believe in individual freedom and responsibility, which is suppose to be a core value, then they must believe in the individual's duty to have a say in government.

5. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

If the voters think for themselves, would there not still be a disparity in political viewpoint among the vast numbers of independents and undecideds?

The right had its fiscally Conservative party in the GOP up till 50 years ago, after that they invited themselves into America's boudoirs.

What makes you believe that if everything were shook up we would not find ourselves back in this basic place again? The opposing views of right and left in this country are quite stark, I see no hint of the traditional tactic of the moderate holding sway in the foreseeable future. Because in today's political climate, it appears that it always must be 'all or nothing', compromise is a lost art.  Harken back to a time when we, as Americans, had much more in common with each other and shared the fundamentally the same beliefs than we do today, 1940-1964, for example.

Yes, the disparity in ideologies would still exist. But, I think the combination of a significant third-party, and, voters willing to vote their conscience, would make the compromise we need in our political system necessary.

As we are currently seeing, the power of only two choices is the force behind our lack of that needed compromise. As mentioned, it looks like a lot of voters will be voting against a candidate instead of for a candidate this election, (like yourself). I think a major party might not be so hard-line if they could not count on that scenario. They might be more flexible if they knew their voters did have another choice to make.

We could force that change if we were willing to take that what if? bet. As bad as many folks think Trump would be, (and I mostly agree), I am willing to take that chance, (and vote third-party, or no presidential vote), because I don't think he could do irreparable harm in one term. But I do think Hillary will continue to do more of the harm we are currently suffering. Without the willingness to take that chance, we are agreeing to more of what we are so ardently railing against.

It hurts to lance a boil. But that hurt is temporary compared to the on-going and increasing pain of the boil.

GA

6. profile image0

Honestly?  I think even if we could somehow dismantle the two-party system, alliances would be formed, and over time, bigger alliances would win out over smaller ones until we would be left with two, or maybe three, parties once again.

My idealistic self agrees with you about voting for who you truly believe would be a good president, rather than voting for the least offensive Democratic or Republican.  My practical self, though, just couldn't do it in a close election, knowing that my idealistic vote could result in something as awful as a Trump presidency.

I agree with that voters should think for themselves.  The irony is that everyone thinks that is what they are doing when, in reality, so many are just  blindly accepting information from biased sources without challenging it.

GA, I'm an eternal optimist.  I believe that our good and intelligent nature will eventually win out. I believe that Trump came along at the right time, demonstrating to the Republican party what their 30 years of pandering to a certain type of voter has done.  Maybe that will also eventually happen on the left. Or, maybe the left will take note and avoid a liberal version of the Trumpocalypse.  ;-)

I mentioned coalition governments in a response to Live to Learn. And though even those include the "alliances" you speak of, wouldn't it be possible that those would be lesser alliances, and alliances more answerable to voters?

Alliances aren't always, (or even usually), a bad thing. But only having two choices seems frequently be a bad thing. I have done some reading on the history of the Israeli and British governments, but I think I should revisit those to get a better grip on this idea of considering a coalition government for the U.S.

GA

1. profile image0

I need to learn more about how coalition governments work before I contribute more to this conversation.

2. Credence2 profile image79
          Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

A parliamentary system common in many Western Democracies?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)