Republicans Promise to Continue Total Obstructionism Against Clinton

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (34 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image87
    My Esotericposted 7 years ago

Congressional Republicans just promised to deny Hillary Clinton any honeymoon period and will continue their stated "Party over Country" policy of total obstruction of our Democratic President. 

To make their blockade more effective, they also promise to investigate Clinton for everything under the sun.  In other words they promise to stop as much Congressional action as possible for the next eight years.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/27/politics/ … index.html

Does this exhibit the American Values they "say" are very important to them?

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I thought that they were the ones that claim to more closely follow the prescriptions provided by the Constitution.

How dare they say that they will obstruct Clinton in her duty to replace justices on the Supreme Court? Just who do they think they are? People accuse me of being partisan, WELL, what is this all about? When have the Democrats dare to circumvent constitutional provisions for a naked political purpose? Yes, conservatives, if your candidate loses, tradition is that the successful opponent is not to be stymied in the tools that he or she has necessary to perform the job for which entrusted.

Just another reason I distrust Conservatives in general and Republicans in particular.

My Esotericposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Personally Credence, since I use to be a Republican, I would reverse those two.

2. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Does that mean those you elect to legislate and who purposefully shirks that duty is a good thing.

When I vote for a Congressman I know his ideas won't agree with those on the other side of the aisle, BUT, I, like the founders, expect them to compromise, not obstruct.

1. profile image0

Sorry, I'm having a hard time visualizing liberals compromising on anything.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/5e/f1/9f/5ef19f9890310eb1f827e89b80f0fa72.jpg

http://religiopoliticaltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Violent-Democrats.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/7b/3e/95/7b3e955bb4761eac81c30d84f1f21fb6.jpg

I can see why you can't if your news is only from those extremely biased sites you photos are from.  If those are your only sources, then you are condemned forever to lack of visualization.

1. profile image0

And what source would that be? Or are you simply making an assumption?

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s526x395/14639831_10207811380743167_6775400736220537131_n.jpg?oh=5b4760a9eda56d3b8545dfaa6e980500&oe=58D2AC62

2. Live to Learn profile image59
              Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I haven't seen much on the democratic side pushing for comprise. Obama had an agenda and wanted everyone to rubber stamp it. This is politics as usual in Washington. Put a republican at the helm and it won't change. Just different people doing the same old thing.

When virtually every piece of legislation that comes out of the House contained a poisoned pill of Social legislation which they Know the Ds cannot accept, how CAN they compromise?  Why doesn't the House stop making their bills DOA when they send it to the Senate.  Killing Planned Parenthood is one good example.

And No, it isn't politics as usual,  This was not the way it worked from 1933 to 1996 when the far Right began their campaign to kick out most of the moderate and liberal Republicans.  The more the GOP became dominated by the far-Right and then the Tea Party, compromise began to decline until were are where we are today.

1. wilderness profile image94
                  wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You complain about R's making all legislation a poison pill to D's.  While conveniently forgetting the continued growth of the entitlement, nanny state that the D's push.  You forget the barrage of gun control laws, you forget the biggest entitlement in the history of the world with Obamacare.  You forget Clinton saying abortions right up to birth.  And let's not forget Obama's effort to keep virtually all illegals in the country, not even allowing local law enforcement to deport them.  All poison pills to R's, but those kinds of things are to be accepted, aren't they?  "Compromise", as long as it is the Republican party taking the poison, right?

1. Live to Learn profile image59

That appears to be the problem. And it's slowly poisoning this country. All while the left and the right posture with self righteous indignation that they can't have their way, unfettered.

I agree 100%  The root lies not with D's or with R's but with politics in general in this country.

It is business as usual in Washington. You can lament the fact that the right has moved in a more conservative direction but that ignores the move by left. Most of us are not died in the wool left or right and these types of questions you pose are very indicative of why those of us trying to see both sides and knowing a balanced approach which takes into account costs to treasury and loss of freedoms all juxtaposed against what is best for the populace (not simply a fortunate few) get more frustrated. Why in the world can you expect Congress to compromise when you, yourself, don't appear to grasp the concept?

+1

2. My Esoteric profile image87

I actually live in the middle and get almost as many on the far-Left yelling at me as I do on the far-Right which tells me I am balanced in my views, some liberal, some conservative. 

The fact is Live, I haven't seen one liberal, or even moderate view coming from you so far.  Can you identify some, especially liberal views?

In 2015, 37% on the Right, 35% Moderates, and a mere 24% Left.  I am in the 35% while, based on your writings, you are part of the 37%.  I was a moderate (fiscally) - liberal (socially) Republican until 1994 when the Republican Party disappeared and was effectively replaced by the Conservative Party.

As to "compromise".  We aren't making legislation are we?  When two politicians comprising, they aren't changing the way they believe; instead they refuse to be ideologically pure when it comes to putting America first.  That is the way compromise works, if you didn't know

1. Live to Learn profile image59

A liberal view? I believe we need a national health care plan. Everyone deserves basic medical care, at the least. Or, we need to regulate the costs of goods and services. Health care is outrageous, medicine is being doled out to us by modern day robber barons.

What did we get from Obama? The industry and Congress bellied up to the barrels filling the bellies with everything they thought was profitable for them, at the expense of the rest of us. No one represented us at that feast.

I believe in an affordable education system but one geared to the reality that not everyone needs a four year degree. We need a reasonable approach to outfit Americans for realistic jobs we need filled.

We need to accept that our greed is killing our ability to employ our citizens and also poisoning them. We lament big corporations lack of concern for workers and consumers but we demand a constant supply of cheap products. We'll spend pennies as opposed to nickels on foreign made goods that could  easily be made here, employing our neighbors but we would rather have closed factories and   depressed areas than spend a few more cents on goods to ensure they aren't.

Does any of that qualify?

Everything could be achieved if both sides accepted a need and worked together to find ways to achieve reasonable goals but it would take real leadership and real commitment by all of us to get there.

I'd also be curious which of my writings places me, in your opinion, to the right. I'm vocally pro choice. I'm vocally supportive of individual rights, not government control. I guess wanting individual freedom may appear to you to be right. I suppose supporting the right to bear arms throws me to the right in your eyes but I think reasonable regulations are not out of bounds. However, reasonable to a gun owner and reasonable to someone who has no clue on the issue are not one in the same.

And I do think consistent flouting of our laws by a politician should render them unsuitable for office. I guess that makes me to the right also. I've seen criminals repeatedly reelected in cities. These are usually democrats so I get that respect for the law is not high on a democrat's list of priorities.

And yes, I do know how compromise works but your opinions, as stated on these forums, do not lead me to believe that you do.

3. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is business as usual for politics ,  you mean you didn't learn that in the Clinton and  Obama years?

Yes, that is true for the Obama years 3 - 8, the GOP kept to their promise to destroy PBO and if that hurts America, so be it.  Helping America comes in second to conservative (not GOP) ideology.

No true for Clinton.  After failing to do so by shutting down the government which cost America billions, Gingrich decided to play nice with Clinton and they were able to get a lot done; some good like the social assistance reform and some terrible like the law that destroyed Glass-Steagal which removed the last big obstacle to the great recession that followed 8 years later.

So, it is not business as usual.  The GOP obstructionism since losing the Senate during Bush is unique in American history.

4. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hey, Esoteric, what is the story about GOP obstructionism regarding the President's perogative to nominate her choices to fill Supreme Court vacancies?

McConnell tells Obama that 'his' senate felt obligated to not allow him to fill the vacancy left by Scalia. The reason? He felt that this pivotal appointment should be permitted only by the next President as being morerepresentative of the will of the people? Obama nominates a relative moderate to attempt a compromise with the GOP, but they would not hear of it.

Now, I say, 'screw the GOP'.

So, what is it now? Now that Clinton may well be on the way of riding high on a historical landslide, Cruz, McCain and others are openly expressing defiance, stating that they will not consider any nominee brought forth by Clinton, as they will not allow the ideological balance of the court to be changed away from the conservatives. There could well be 3 vacancies in the court if not more during Clinton's tenure.

Well, I say to the GOP, that's too bad. The people have spoken in electing Hillary Clinton, along with her policy prescriptions and her approach to government. She should not be hamstrung relative to her Constitutional responsibilities before she even begins her term. I suppose that us on the left would be justified in stonewalling Trump, REagan or any other GOP apparatchik when they bring right wing nominees to the Senate for confirmation? None on my side has ever made such a suggestion, they have and would carry it out.

After research, I have found this this aberrant GOP course of action is legal. But, it has to be said that it is highly unethical and reaches the highest of high bars for  continued obstruction and gridlock in Washington.

With an attitude like this as a standard GOP principle, I would  not vote for one of them as my local dog catcher. All the more reason why I must have a Democratic Party victory in the Senate races. Otherwise, there may only be 3 or 4 justices left on the bench. For a bunch that is always talking about adhering to the Constitution, they appear to operate well outside the spirit of this venerated document.

But, they have always considered democracy and the rule of law, in themselves, as an irritating obstruction.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

The last President to be granted a honeymoon was Bush '41.  By coincidence, there has only been one Republican President since then.

So what happened to Clinton's and Bush 43's?  Did I, who follows politics closely, go into a coma the first two years of their presidencies?  Hmmmm, no, I didn't and their honeymoon period was all over the news at the time.   I suggest you try

home.sandiego.edu/~caseydominguez/buchlerdominguez2005-2.doc

As to Obama's given the Ds supermajority in Congress, he also enjoyed one.  But if you look at opposition only, his is the first time there wasn't one.  Why, because like with HRC they PROMISED to stop PBO and therefore America.  In terms of Congressional action, they succeeded in the last six years by bringing legislation almost to a standstill. 

They promise another four years, for a total of ten years of obstructionism, if Clinton; and are likely to be a thorn in Trumps side in the very unlikely event he wins.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
          Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

What did they accomplish during their honeymoons?

And "bringing legislation almost to a standstill" is six years of success?

It matters not what they accomplished.  The "honeymoon period" as it relates to Congress is how much each Party and the combined total helped the president with, but until 2017, his agenda.  What his agenda is has nothing to do with the honeymoon period.

Do I call GOP obstructionism a success; no, just the opposite.  What WAS a success is all things PBO did accomplish IN SPITE OF GOP obstruction. http://hubpages.com/politics/What-has-P … Years-LOTS

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

Onusonus:  It definitely is a bad thing - whichever side does it.  These people are elected to govern, which is compromise, not put their fingers in their ears and stomp their feet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)