A "Fair Tax' System vs. Our, (U.S.), Progressive Income Tax Structure

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (54 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 7 years ago

First, a little housekeeping;
    Recent comments by Wilderness and Live to Learn prompted me to refer to an old thread by My Esoteric.

The motivating comments related to what a "Fair" taxation structure should be.

I now believe that out current 'progressive' income tax structure is one that at least one of our Constitution writers would approve of.

Important note: At the time of Hamilton's writing, tributary did not mean an off-shoot of a body of water, it meant an offering of value. (I initially tripped over this change in meaning and sounded dumb in my reply)

I also now believe that in dealing with the realities of national life, a nation's needs, and not the unrealistic rigidness of some principled convictions; a progressive taxing structure is a "fair" structure. Citing the analogy of one person paying more than another for a loaf of bread is an unrealistic perspective - as I see it.

So, here is the thread that changed my mind:
    Do You Agree With Alexander Hamilton's Position on Taxing the Rich?

For explanation, I refer to a couple of the posts in the thread.

The OP that set the stage;
    http://hubpages.com/politics/forum/1363 … ost2813658

The perspective that I then held is illustrated by this post response;
    http://hubpages.com/politics/forum/1363 … ost2813922

... and here is where my perspective changed;
    http://hubpages.com/politics/forum/1363 … ost2814121

So, with all that set-up, and considering that I think there is validity in the thought that our Constitution writers, (aka our Founding Fathers), did understand the plight of the poor and the need for the rich to 'step-up' and be the primary support for our nation - do the Conservative's principles of 'fairness' allow for the thought that a "progressive" taxing structure is the fairest way to finance our nation?

GA

1. dianetrotter profile image63
      dianetrotterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

1.  You can't pay if you don't have money.
      2.  Taxes are paid for things everyone can benefit from (unless you want to include "entitlements.")
      3.  If taxes are not paid on a progressive schedule, how would we pay for education, infrastructure, salaries for gov't employees (maybe there are too many) and other things paid for by taxes.

If is a fair system; however, there are too many loopholes for those who can afford highly paid tax attorneys.

GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Diane,

I do agree about the "loopholes" in general - they usually amount to the government's attempts at social-engineering, or purchased privileges. Which I also see as generally failed efforts, but I can see instances where they are desirable in a society grown as large and complex as ours.

We might not be able to make the camel drink, but sometimes moral imperatives insist that we must at least make the try. Civil Rights legislation comes to mind as a good example. So does business tax incentives for innovation or global competitiveness. At least in my perspective.

GA

True!  There are some deductions that are beneficial to the community @ large.  A well prepared return, though fraudulent, can facilitate unworthy actors getting fake deductions.

If you use TurboTax you are are less likely to be audited that if you have Joe Doaks do your return.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 7 years ago

Assuming you're discussing the federal income tax I think a graduated, progressive tax schedule is necessary (surprise!).  It's obviously not "fair", but that's only a quibble, and one that doesn't matter a lot when the existence of the country is at stake.

But that doesn't mean that half the nation pays nothing while others pay as much as 90% of their income.  Any time we decide it is "necessary" to hit someone that hard it becomes obvious it is not for the needs of the country, for no country must demand that kind of percentage of the wealth of the nation just to survive.

Personally, I think that something in the range of 35% maximum is more than enough as long as we aren't on a total war footing such as was done in WWII.  Any more than that just isn't necessary.  And of course another 15% or so in FICA, state income and sales taxes brings the total well over 50%.  Indeed, when all the fees, licenses, specialty taxes like that on gasoline etc. are added in some of our citizens are already giving as much as 75% of their income to the country, and that's more than should be required of anyone regardless of personal wealth.

Well, damn wilderness, and here I thought this might be a subject we could argue about. So yes, I am slightly surprised.

Even worse, I agree, almost point-by-point, with your response. My original post was directed specifically at income taxes. As you indicate in your comment; all these other item-specific taxes are a different matter. I could really make a meal out of a discussion about this new wave of "soda" taxes.

GA

tobacco tax could fund the medical treatment smokers will obviouosly need.

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Instead the tobacco tax paid for a multi-million dollar restoration of the Idaho Statehouse.  A small, politically powerless group of people was taxed to pay for something the state wanted but couldn't pay for.  And it was advertised as a great thing!

Hmmmm!  Gotta check that out.

The lottery was allowed in California to provide money for education.  Guess what?  We STILL need money for education.

"The 2005 Legislature revived hope for the interior restoration by extending the cigarette tax so that a portion of the revenue collected, beginning in FY07, is deposited into the Permanent Building Fund. The annual amount, estimated at $20 million, is earmarked for the repair, remodel, and restoration of the Capitol and state facilities pertaining to the Capitol restoration."
              https://capitolcommission.idaho.gov/restoration/

2. Live to Learn profile image60
          Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Obviously? About 10 % of smokers develop lung cancer. About 25% of all people in the United States will develop some type of cancer. According to statistics from the American Cancer society it appears that about 18% of people worldwide develop cancer.

Maybe cigarettes are no more dangerous than just living. is.

A % is attributed to 2nd hand smoke.  I hate to see moms blowing smoke around their babies.  It's ratched!

1. Live to Learn profile image60

Yes, well sitting in judgement of others behavior is always fun.

Tsk. Tsk. Live to Learn. While I do agree with your negative opinion of judging others, you just did it yourself.

Diane's point was sincere and valid. I can't imagine anyone but a Neanderthal that would consider blowing smoke in a baby's face to be OK. Even if I don't agree with her continued effort to defend a previous position.

So lighten-up and say you're sorry.

GA

I tried to remember why I reeally like you.  Now I know!  Thanks GA!

Hey Live.....I'm waiting!!!!

Ha! Hold on to that thought. I'm sure we will have future exchanges that will prompt you to have other thoughts of my perspectives. ;-)

GA

2. Live to Learn profile image60

Well, let's think about the statement. I've always been negative when I hear people exaggerate in order to attempt to gain consensus. 'Blowing smoke in a baby's face'? Really? What that boils down to is seeing a woman smoking within eyesight of her child. Not the same. I doubt anyone has seen a woman leaning over a baby and blowing smoke in its face. Although, those who acquiesce to demands by kids for a Happy Meal every day are probably in far more danger of doing permanent damage to their children's health. We don't demonize them. We kind of feel sorry for them. I wonder why?

I have a 32-year old niece who was disabled because my sister smoked while she was pregnant.  I have definitely seen mothers smoking while they held newborn babies.  When they smoke while playing with their babies, what do you think happens.

You must remember, there are people who are offended when asked to put out a cigarette on an airplane, in a restaurant or a grocery store line.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't true.  I wish it weren't.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

Hi Live to Learn,

Ok, you got me. I did succumb to the current trend of hyperbole. Sorry. I will dust myself off, and try to maintain my balance in the future.

But... I don't think Diane's statement referencing second-hand smoke was intended to be at the other end of my hyperbole either - as in including smoking in the basement when the kid is on the third floor. I like your description of "within eyesight." That is the perception I got from her statement.

See, that cost me nothing, and I feel much better. Your turn.

GA

[EDIT ADDED]
                    Oops! I can see from your subsequent replies to Diane that this "smoking" issue is one, on which you have serious and firm positions. Don't mind me. I will just slip off to the side. Just pretend you didn't even see me.

2. dianetrotter profile image63

Not all the time BUT, definitely, some times!  smile

1. Live to Learn profile image60

Yeh. The momentary joy achieved is always tempting and very often we all scratch that itch
                  . smile

3. PhoenixV profile image64
          PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Smokers pay a lot in taxes. If they smoke a lot all their life they die early and quickly. Healthy people that dont smoke and live to 102 use benefits for years. Some state or gov worker could work from 45 to 62-65 ie 20 years and then get benefits for 40 years. Meanwhile private sector gotta pay them for life.

No such thing as a fair or good tax. Giving money to the gov is like giving heroin to a junkie and saying save it for later or put it to good use, as well as contributing to inflation.

Everything should be privatized. There should be no taxes on food or real estate.  We dont own a house despite paying 200k for a 75k house, we just rent it from the government property tax monster junkie.

For funding an ultra lean gov, have a sales tax on luxury items. If you wanna 125 million dollar yacht pay 25 million in taxes.

"Everything should be privatized."

No thank you.  I do NOT want a private military.  Or police.  Or park rangers.  Or anyone else authorized to use force.

1. PhoenixV profile image64
              PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I was speaking in general, but you know that. You didnt miss this part:  " to fund an ultra lean. Gov..
              "

Nevertheless the private sector could probably do just as good a job at bombing villagers and shooting fleeing misdemeanors as the gov.

2. wilderness profile image96

Yeah, the small, specific taxes are becoming the wave of the future - a method to pay for politicians projects without "raising taxes", much like the airlines have done with their own little add-on fees over the years.

Haven't got the bill yet, but apparently the license "tax" on my plug in hybrid car will go up nearly $200 this year.  $70 along with everyone else's and an additional $100 because I don't use much gas in an effort to promote clean air.  These little "additions" just keep coming - the political appetite for more money is insatiable.

3. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

The freemasons and ptb are probably pleased that they no longer have to think of ways to enact taxes when the populace will think of ways to tax themselves. The same as wages, if you are not thinking of ways to reduce, keep low or end taxes, you are playing their game. By they I mean the people that print it, governments, elite, monarchs , presidents etc.

sshhh... you don't want to draw the attention of 'The Dark Hand'.

GA

4. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

" the evil rich dont pay enough taxes or get away with not paying any"

The evil rich invented taxes. Figure it out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)