jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Art Buchwald on Nixon Now 40 Years Later - Trump

1. GA Anderson profile image83
    GA Andersonposted 4 months ago

Folks, this one brings a flood of cliches' to mind, but if you just think of the one - "... there's nothing new in politics," then the rest will come to you.

This started as a tweet, (or retweet), from pundit Jamie Dupree, headlined;

"From an old newspaper column, echoes of current political arguments"*clickable
    "In recent weeks, I’ve been compiling a list of frequent arguments that are being made to me on social media about the troubles of the current administration, thinking I would put together a blog about the daily reaction of President Donald Trump’s supporters, as backers of both parties do battle over the Trump Presidency."

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13540376.jpg

*just click on the image to go to the tweet, then click on the tweet image to get a readable image of Art's column.

Come on - follow the link, it won't be any fun if you don't.

GA

1. Credence2 profile image87
      Credence2posted 4 months ago in reply to this

A poignant excerpt from the article, GA

"This old Buchwald column and the ready comparisons to today is not to say that Trump equals Nixon."

GA Andersonposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Hey here Credence2, I have noticed your sparse participation lately, have the 'Righties' worn you down?

I don't think Pres. Trump compares to Pres. Nixon, in general, but I can see where some comparisons might be offered.

GA

1. Credence2 profile image87
          Credence2posted 4 months ago in reply to this

It is nice to be missed, GA, thank you

Family matters required my return to Colorado for a few days, everything is peachy-keen.

But, I am back with a vengeance.

Yes, there are some similarities in the nature of the complaints and comparisons. But, we are in different era than what was the case almost 50 years ago. I remember the 1968 contest between Nixon and Humphrey. While, I preferred Humphrey, Nixon was not a guy totally without a clue in left field. If it weren't for his own demons, he may have well been considered a good President by historians. There were few men who were better prepared for the office at that time. Contrast that with a bumbling political neophyte?

The polarization between the political parties and ideologies behind them are far greater now than it was then. Compared to someone like Donald Trump, I can look back on Nixon with fond nostalgia.

I hope you caught Kathleen's link. I think you will find it an interesting read that you might agree with, (his argument made sense to me).

ps. I stole your Nixon had his "own demons..." thought for a comment to ahorseback - but I did give you author's credit.

GA

2. ahorseback profile image47
    ahorsebackposted 4 months ago

It s interesting and funny ,  I remember Nixon's days ,   I have to say  one thing that does bother me a little is that the media right seems to instantly go on the defense every time a newbie- on -the- job liberal media robot creates  another fantasy story line about Trump ,         My feeling is , to heck with the obstructionist media , all we need is a grass root's movement for us all to turn off all the leftist drivel .

Remember that bumper sticker 'Kill your T.V. "     ?

3. ahorseback profile image47

When comparisons arise ,  we also have to consider the positive sides of Nixon , He got us out of Viet -Nam ,   began a dialog with China after none was present -forever ,   brought the brilliance of Henry Kissinger into the world of foreign policy and middle east political strategies , sure Nixon  was a white house liar  in the end but which one did you say wasn't  Bill Clinton ,Jimmy  Carter , Barack Obama  ...........The left sometimes really loves to conveniently and correctly categorize all  the political evil ---with the exception  their own .

In the annals of true  history the Clinton Dynasty will come to be known as  a  far , far worse  than Nixon's.  Richard Nixon's evil cannot hold a candle to political atrocities that this pair of organised  criminals conjured up  out of a multitude of offences .   Here's a real comparison--- Nixon brought down by an act of others  in the RNC--------- Clinton -Sanders - brought down by their actual  manipulation of the DNC rules , The Clintons and the DNC in fact may be a accomplice's  in a  murder .

Pick a crime and put the  Clinton name on it . In fact ,they brilliantly invented modern  political crime

Hello ahorseback, I was pondering how to address your defense of Nixon, (which in detail, I agree with), when credence2's comment gave me the words... "Nixon had his demons."

I would also defend Pres. Nixon's policy leadership, in both foreign and domestic areas, and his legislative leadership actions, but I think any defense must first acknowledge the "demons" of his dark side. The consideration of ethics was not a primary concern for him.

GA

1. ahorseback profile image47
        ahorsebackposted 4 months ago in reply to this

I agree with you , however  it is easy to demonize one who actually wasn't in control of THAT part of his downfall .I believe watergate happened  without his pre- planning any part of it but  I do say,  get  all the Lawyers  out of government .   They hold an evil and often separative  political ideology .   We are a nation of laws and I believe they overuse  that in self promotive policies . , ie. the Clintons .

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image86
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 months ago

Interesting.  This hub came to mind when I read the following article today in Politico:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ … ans-215175

Unintended consequences are amazing.

Kathleen... I really liked that article's perspective - and content. I think the author might be right, Pres. Trump is Nixon's offspring.

Thanks for the link. Now I just have to find time to read more from that author

GA

5. ahorseback profile image47

Lately when I think back to nixon and watergate , I am freshly reminded of one more of Hilary Clinton's great accomplishments , To be fired by the watergate investigators for lying or for lying once again or for her first political lie , or was it for her first bout of lying and total incompetence ?

I'm so confused .

working