jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Endangered Species

1. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94
    Tim Truzy info4uposted 5 months ago

Trump is reducing protection for endangered species. Does that serve the nation well?

1. promisem profile image99
      promisemposted 5 months agoin reply to this

At the risk of sounding like a Trump supporter, I'd say it depends on the species. Some have more value to humanity and the environment than others. Some may have little value to either one.

1. ptosis profile image83
        ptosisposted 5 months agoin reply to this

DJT reversed ban on using lead bullets on National Wildlife Preserves ( hurts Bald Eagles - the symbol of our nation)

2. Marisa Wright profile image100
        Marisa Wrightposted 5 months agoin reply to this

So are you suggesting animals need to have "value to humans" before they are worth saving? 

Isn't that a rather outdated view, given that we now understand how interconnected the planet is?   It's almost impossible to tell what impact may result from allowing a species to die out.  Most animals predate or are predated on - remove one and it upsets the balance.

1. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94
          Tim Truzy info4uposted 5 months agoin reply to this

I agree some animals have more values. History has taught us that we may not know their value until later. I'm thinking about the red wolves here. There is always debate whether or not to protect them because they are sometimes noted as a separate species from coyotes or grey wolves. I'm not  a politician, but I think caution with species may be a good decision.

2. promisem profile image99
          promisemposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Marisa, I said "Some have more value to humanity and the environment." So I recognize that some species are important beyond people alone.

2. Tim Truzy info4u profile image94
    Tim Truzy info4uposted 5 months ago

True. Some species are crucial for the survival of the planet. Cock roaches are repugnant, indeed! But they break down organic materials which return to the environment. We get rid of them by the billions. Likewise, some beaver species are protected, and they should be. They build dams which keep our wetlands viable and rivers stable. Think of the fishermen who would suffer in our nation.

working