National Debt just top 20 Trillion dollars...

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (21 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 6 years ago

This should be on the front pages of every newspaper...
    https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/te … 0000-1-day

Why isn't it?

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Because we live in a country that wants low taxes and a huge military with bases around the world, even if it bankrupts us in the long run.

1. jackclee lm profile image81
        jackclee lmposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yet, that is what most of our government duty should be, provide for national defense. The amount of the budget is mostly other programs...which leads us to debt and deficit spending and kicking the can down the road so our children and grandkids will have to pay the bill...
        If we were to raise the taxes tomorrow and it would make no dent on this deficits because liberal will spend it like there is no tomorrow... any attempt to reduce the budget would be treated like we are starving children and throwing grandma over the cliff...hyperbole.

1. profile image0

It's hard for liberals to spend when Republicans control the White House, Senate and House of Representatives.

Even so, they aren't taking any actions to cut the debt because they like big expensive military bases in their districts.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
            GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Why do you lay the blame on our defense budget promisem? Aren't there other areas of government spending that might easily be as culpable?

Why wouldn't government inefficiency come to mind? Heck,  healthcare, (government healthcare programs), fraud and inefficiencies alone could probably offset 30% or 50% of our defense budget. Add in the small potatoes stuff, like program and department duplications - that are only a billion or two here and there, programs fraud - like social welfare programs and subsidies programs, and you could probably find another $200 - $300 billion dollar horse to whip, so why do you blame defense?

I would even say that government inefficiencies might also include ramifications of that defense budget - like cost overruns, fraud, etc.. Do you think that is a fair consideration?

GA

1. profile image0

Total defense spending is $600 billion. It is larger than all of the other discretionary budget categories put together. 

The U.S. defense budget is 3X larger than the next largest in the world. It also is larger than all other defense budgets in the entire world combined.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13699179_f248.jpg

I agree that inefficiencies add to the problem. But I haven't seen any meaningful effort to identify those inefficiencies or fix them. Budget cuts just might help make it happen.

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How does such misinformation make past the first person to read it?  Does no one make any effort whatsoever to verify even the wildest claims?

Total world military spending: 1686B
                US military spending: 611.2B

The US is 611B, while all other countries combined is 1075B.  611 is NOT larger than 1075.

In addition, only with VERY sloppy math is 215.7 X 3 (or 647.1B) greater than 611B.  The US is NOT spending more than 3 times the next largest (China).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c … penditures

1. profile image0

I'm shocked that extremists care about accuracy. Must be a new thing.

Sloppy math? OK, the U.S. is spending only 2.84 times as much money as China. The criticism that 3X is inaccurate is ridiculous.

You seem to agree with my fact about the size of the budget. You didn't respond to the size of it compared to other budget categories.

You are quite right on one point, which is rare. The U.S. used to spend more money than all nations combined and is now longer doing so. I had recent years in mind rather than the current year.

Of course, ignore my basic point. The U.S. vastly outspends the entire planet on guns, your favorite pastime.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

I am aware of the defense budget figure promisem, and $600 billion is a fair number for discussion.

To Wilderness' points concerning the spin, (and errors), of your statements, I would add that another perspective is that relative to the scale of economies, I think the U.S. comes in 4th in defense spending.

But the point of my question was that even if the defense budget were cut in half, we would still be operating at a deficit and adding to the national debt. We seem to agree that fraud and government inefficiencies are a problem, but apparently differ on their scale, and the importance of their contribution to our national debt.

The defense budget is an easy target, the low hanging fruit - as some might say, but it is also an ideological target. Which is why I think it was the first thought that came to mind for you. Whereas someone of a different perspective might point to social welfare programs first.

Consider your comment about base closures. I do agree that there is a case to be made for closing some bases, but consider the impact on a base-supported community. Of the jobs impact of cancelled programs. Would the expanded spending for social welfare programs that has taken place in recent years compare to the cost of keeping a base or program for the economic benefits they provide for local and regional economies? These are considerations that I think are completely ignored when an ideologue bashing of defense spending is the knee-jerk reaction to the question of our deficit spending or the national debt.

GA

1. wilderness profile image95
                  wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"I would add that another perspective is that relative to the scale of economies, I think the U.S. comes in 4th in defense spending. "

And there is yet a third perspective that might be considered.  The US has only the 7th largest military in terms of manpower; rather than spending people in a conflict we choose to spend very high priced equipment, from smart bombs to aircraft carriers, a philosophy I am 100% in agreement with.

Damn Wilderness, I wish I had thought of that. N. Korea comes immediately to mind, followed of course by China. That is a good point, should one consider the "blood and treasure," (our military personnel), of our nation, as a dollars and sense factor in defense costs? I think not. I would rather see a million dollar rocket wasted than a Seal team or squadron of infantry killed.

GA

2. profile image0

How in the world are you an expert in deciding how much money to spend on military technology and how much to spend on military personnel?

2. profile image0

GA, I made four factual statements, of which one was formerly accurate and now out of date.

I consider the defense budget a major necessary target simply because of the vast size of it compared to all other budget categories.

That said, all budget categories are subject to cuts. Even so, I don't see how we can cut the government discretionary budgets without raising taxes and still end up with a surplus.

It will get much worse when the next recession comes.

Do we at least agree that the size of the defense budget makes it subject to cuts if we want to reduce deficit spending?

Hi promisem, well... we can at least agree that there is probably as much waste and fraud in the defense budget that should be addressed - as there is in other major programs. But I don't think it is as simple as just cutting the defense budget because it is the largest target.

Could we agree that your four statements although factual, (let's pass on the "totals more than all the rest" one, as noted those numbers have changed), were constructed to paint an incomplete picture - as in ignoring the point of scale, and Wilderness' point of prioritizing lives over dollars, which would paint quite a different picture than the one your statements did?

Don't confuse what I am saying as a blank-check defense of the defense budget. My thoughts are that there are a lot of variables that affect that decision, and reasonable conclusions must consider those variables.

For instance, and I am shooting from the hip here, your mentioned base closings, (let's talk U.S. bases). The cold calculation using the perspective of your picture is "X" amount of money saved by closing the base. And let's say that "X" is a big number to save. A worthwhile number to chase.

Now consider this variable;

I would say that in a majority of cases, a military base is the economic life-blood of the community it is in. Like the "company towns" that folded when the "company" left, (think Detroit maybe?), should the economic collapse of a community, (town, city, or even region), be a consideration in the costs savings calculated from closing the base? The hard decision may be yes, the closure is the best economic choice, but, I wonder if that variable is even a consideration in the mind of most folks like yourself, (at least as it appears by your advocating closing bases), promoting this type of defense budget cuts.

Again, my only point is that attacking the large number of the defense budget should include more reasons than just that it is the biggest target, and as such should be the first to be cut. Beyond that point, my "public knowledge" perception is that, yes, there probably are a lot of programs and military installations, (which includes more than just bases), that could and should be cut. We have all heard of the "pork barrel" appropriations and strong-arm political tactics used for programs and weapons/systems that the military doesn't even want

GA

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

My first thought was recalling 8th grade Government class long ago where I  said the national debt should be reduced and all three of the team teachers said I was stupid. It was crazy to me, because they also forbade us to use our names - made us use numbers and said we no longer had names -- What politics is all that? Are we also bullied into accepting the increasing debt today?

So, I don't know - do some people take pride in a large national debt? Or does the public think it's not important? Or do they not consider it manageable because they cannot grasp the large number? Do they consider it not real money because it is not backed by gold? I don't know, but I don't like it.

Good question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)