Ken Burns Vietnam Doc, yay or nay?

1. BethFairweather profile image79
    BethFairweatherposted 2 weeks ago

I just finished the ten part series, I liked it but I was disappointed that they didn't address today's issues, and the question, have we learned anything from Vietnam?  I loved John Musgrave, he was amazing!  Also would have liked to have heard from the wife of the POW who became a war protester while her husband was held prisoner.  Is that why they got divorced when he got home?  All in all I thought it was a good documentary, and I learned a lot!  (I was only a young kid during Vietnam so I knew next to nothing!)

1. Credence2 profile image84
      Credence2posted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Welcome to Hub Pages, Beth

I have been religiously following the series in through episode 6. I am going to complete the series.

What I appreciated most were the first two episodes that provided so lucent a background of how we got from there to the point of our involvement. Ken told the story in such a way that brought it all together like puzzle pieces.

I spent pre-teen years and adolescence following the  TV reports of casualties from Huntley-Brinkley and Walter Cronkite. I missed the festivities as Nixon called off the draft at the point I came of age.

It is certainly easy to understand that the war could have profound effects upon marriage relationships even if both partners are on the same team. It would almost be impossible to think that any other conclusion would be the outcome other than breakup if both partners are pulling from opposite ends.

working