jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Former Paterson, NJ Mayor Jose Torres sentenced to 5 yr.

1. colorfulone profile image86
    colorfuloneposted 4 weeks ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13781496.jpg
    5 years in prison with no possibility of parole. Torres is banned from holding any public employment or office. 

Former Mayor Torres, Joe Mania, Timothy Hanlon and Imad Mowaswes pleaded guilty Sept. 22 to conspiracy to committee official misconduct, admitting that the three employees performed renovations at a beer distribution business owned by the mayor’s daughter and nephew while they were getting overtime from city taxpayers.

The three employees were forced to give up their city jobs in a plea agreement.  Whether they will be able to keep their state pensions will be up to the state retirement board for public employees.  I would not want to have to make that decision. 

Do you think they should lose their pensions?

1. Credence2 profile image82
      Credence2posted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Yes, they probably should......

colorfuloneposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I believe you are right.  I still wouldn't want to be one of the people that must decide on the pension question. People should not build sandcastles in the air.

I hope that Torres and the employees will take the time to get right and someday be able to build a better life.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 weeks ago

No.  A pension has been earned and is payable to the defendents - it is, in a way, money in the bank.   Their plea bargain did not include a fine, potentially in the tens of thousands of dollars; for the retirement board to put itself above the court and assign such a penalty in addition to that the court found appropriate  is not reasonable.

Given that the employees knew and understood that what they were doing was illegal the penalty assigned (loss of job) was, IMO, insufficient but it IS what the justice system assigned and should be honored.

colorfuloneposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Its confusing when there are those shades of grey.  The employees certainly got off easy without a fine.  Maybe a case of not what you did so much but who you know?  I would not be happy about it if they lost their pensions. That would really suck for them.

working