jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

One Major Consequences of the Trump Administration...

1. jackclee lm profile image82
    jackclee lmposted 9 days ago

I read in the news today that food stamps roll was reduced by 2 million.
    If true, that is one of the most consequential events of the past year.
    Just image 2 million households no longer need food stamps assistance...
    That should be news of joy for all of us.
    That means they have found jobs and they are able to feed their families...
    It is good for us and the tax payers. It should help reduce our spending and our deficits.
    Keep up the good work and MAGA.

2. blueheron profile image97
    blueheronposted 9 days ago

I'm not sure that the decline in the food stamps roll was because "2 million households no longer need food stamps assistance." I think they just changed the rules so that able-bodied single adults with no dependents are only allowed to get food stamps for a couple of months.

This mainly affects families who have unemployed adult children living with them. E.g., formerly, a 25-year-old who couldn't find a job and was living at home with parents could draw food stamps, to help defray the costs of parental support. In impoverished families--for example, if the adult child was living at home with a mom whose only income was social security--food stamps for the kid would be a big help. I think the way it works now is that the adult child/dependent can only get food stamps for a short time.

I would like to believe that the reduction in food stamp rolls is a result of an improvement in the employment situation, but I'm not seeing it in my area.

jackclee lmposted 9 days agoin reply to this

The food stamp roll increased dramatically after the recession of 2008..and reached a peak in 2013...
      It has been falling since and I guess this past year was a dramatic drop.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13854790.jpg

2. wilderness profile image98
      wildernessposted 9 days agoin reply to this

In today's job market 2 months seems like plenty of time to get a job good enough to supply groceries for a single person.  It may not be the one wanted, but jobs ARE out there.

2 million is just a start. We should be down to 25 million total for food stamps prior to recession instead of 44 million now. There is abuse and fraud in the EBT system and we were looking the other way under the Obama administration.

1. wilderness profile image98
          wildernessposted 9 days agoin reply to this

A while back my state proudly announced they'd spent a large amount (several hundred thousand as I recall)...finding people to give food stamps to.  Not to train people, find them jobs or get them on their own two feet, but to give food stamps to.

Don't forget that that money, mostly from federal tax coffers, stays in the state where it's spent, producing taxes every time it changes hands.

I know in my state of NY, I stood behind people using EBT cards and then see them go out and drive away in a Lexus....

working