jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the fundamental differences between the Democratic and Republican parti

1. ParadigmShift... profile image75
    ParadigmShift...posted 8 years ago

What are the fundamental differences between the Democratic and Republican parties??

Can there be a happy medium?

2. profile image0
    jami430posted 8 years ago

Republican: Limited government intervention.
    Democratic: Big government.

That's definitely the most fundamental difference, and so many issues go back to that. Republicans: fewer taxes (INCOME taxes, I should say), less regulation of companies and, well, everything. Democrats: social intervention (like welfare), and other government interventions (like, oh I don't know...bailouts). Seriously, most of these things boil down to big or small government.

Oh, and Republicans believe in more of state's rights, while Democrats turn to the federal government.

My happy medium would be the Libertarian Party.

3. RVDaniels profile image77
    RVDanielsposted 8 years ago

Not to be cynical but it all amounts to one simple sentence.  Its the same thief in different color clothes.

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 6 years ago

When someone says the Republicans are for limited government, what they usually are referring to is limited regulation for business, trade, personal liberties.  When someone says Democrats are for big government, they usually are refering to more regulations for the protection for personal freedoms, a level playing field for businesses, and laws that protect the free trade of American made goods.