jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What happened to the 40 hour work week?

1. Robertbloggert profile image69
    Robertbloggertposted 8 years ago

What happened to the 40 hour work week?

2. petsnakes profile image67
    petsnakesposted 8 years ago

We became a "connected" society that has to be in touch 24/7. Companies we work for, and our customers expect 24/7 productivity. Our bosses expect to be able to reach us morning noon and night.

Personally, at the end of the work day my cells phones all get turned off, and my boss knows I won't answer a business call. But it's a struggle and in the end likely to result in me not having a job because for everyone like me who won't slave away for 60, 80, even 120 hours a week there are 100 more who will do it happily.

3. PayManila profile image54
    PayManilaposted 8 years ago

Unfortnately, it's true.

You don't like to do it, some 1,000 people are falling in line to take your job away!

4. Mr. Happy profile image81
    Mr. Happyposted 8 years ago

In North America people know not how to stand up to their bosses. In Europe people get two weeks paid vacation or more even with a simple managerial job at a corner restaurant. It is a matter of respect for one self not to "slave" away for others. If you work more than 40 hrs ask for time and a half, otherwise leave. If you find that your labor is not payed for properly ... you're slaving.

5. Mary Neal profile image60
    Mary Nealposted 8 years ago

Blame electricity.  People used to work sun up to sun down.  Now it is always "sun up"!

Closed to reply