jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do we allow our fears to governed by media sensationalism

1. Jacara profile image56
    Jacaraposted 8 years ago

Why do we allow our fears to governed by media sensationalism

We have become obsessed with our fear of doing anything that might cause a negative effect in our lives.  Fear of going somewhere because of the threat of violence, because of the threat of disease, because of the threat of overdose all tend to govern our choices.

2. mthurston profile image79
    mthurstonposted 8 years ago

I think the simplest answer might be because people are lazy.  People can become so consumed in their lives that the only information they get comes in the form of fox news soundbites. 

There is an obvious political advantage in having the masses fearful, but I think the real problem is the content that passes for legitimate news these days.  i am a big fan of fox; but in my perspective it is purely entertainment value, not unlike Stewart or Colbert. 

Hypothetically....Would climate scientists get as much funding if there wasn't a green shift and global warming? Would the invasion of Iraq have been plausible without the scary threat of WMDs?

I like to think its 50% sleight of hand from above and 50% apathy on our part.

3. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 8 years ago

We have to be kept in constant fear so we have no time to think about lying politicians, the decaying state of our world or the deplorable conditions most people live in. If we are in a constant state of fear we are unable to think or to react in any positive way and that is what the "establishment" wants: for us to be brainless sheep of this consumerist society.
        "Television says lies to your vision" - Wu-tang

4. Jacara profile image56
    Jacaraposted 8 years ago

Mr. Happy's observation is sound.  Of course we have to be kept in fear of our politician's motives.  If we looked at them with the same practical viewpoint, we'd understand that they are just as human as us and therefore fallible.  Giving our trust to them means we don't have to make the hard choices ourselves - and relying on an idiot is easy to blame.

And as mthrurston put it, we are lazy - we want to appoint others to do the thinking so that whenever there is a problem we can have someone to blame, and not ourselves, when the problem goes awry. 

I also like the observation of mthurston that the lying gives support to funding.  That is apparent in every aspect.  Take, for instance, the hype on the swine flu.  Who is ultimately benefiting from a "pandemic?"

5. yes2truth profile image61
    yes2truthposted 8 years ago

The Truth of the matter is this: They are more frightened of us so they manipulate us with fear based smokescreens and mirrors. It's all an illusion, like the Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. The Wizard and the Queen of Hearts were both phonies but held everyone in fear.

The film The Matrix is based upon this illusion.

Mr Happy is right as is David Icke when he calls this the PROBLEM - REACTION - SOLUTION game. They create a fear based crisis deliberately and wait for Joe Public's reaction and then they provide the solution, usually to our financial harm or to our loss of freedoms.

This process is otherwise known as gradualism.

working