jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it appropriate for the President of the United States to publicly address sch

1. thefount profile image73
    thefountposted 8 years ago

Is it appropriate for the President of the United States to publicly address school children?

If the teacher of a school, guest speakers and the principal are allowed to address school children, as long as there are no politics in the message, is it appropriate for the President of the United States to address them?

2. troyjones profile image54
    troyjonesposted 8 years ago

Yes

I don't necessary think that all speakers must be non-political.  I just think that there needs to a distinct distance between the speaker and the school.  That way it is not seen as the school endorsing a particular opinion.

I tend to think that the rules change with age.  Few of us think that college students should be sheltered from differing political opinions.  So why should a high-school senior?  or even a freshmen?

For years the government came into schools and did the DARE program to try to prevent drug use.  DARE is definitely political in nature as is the legal status of most drugs.

If you want the President to address school kids in a non-political manner there are still things he can address.  For example, for 15 years there have been concerns about the lack of native US citizens graduating college in Science and Engineering.  Obviously the President could present some vision for the future hoping to inspire kids to pursue careers in Science and Education.  That's not entirely non-political but it is as close as you can get.

3. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 8 years ago

Of course, why not, he is the President of the United States a major figure as well as role model.  Some of these teachers are responsible for your child's education as well as "knowledge" and don't be surprised to find out that your child 9 times out of ten isnt paying attention to whatever is being said.   I feel the president can ad a few words of wisdom that your child can either accept or reject--- more than likely accept!

4. A M Werner profile image58
    A M Wernerposted 8 years ago

Obama was rightfully elected by the majority of the people in the United States to be the President.  Other Presidents have directly addressed students in school during their terms.  Obama is not the first to do this.  He has earned the right to address the students of the nation he has been authorized to command.  Parents who fear their children may be tainted by his political views, or simply his color, in a speech that would last only a few minutes must be really concerned about their own parenting skills.  If their child can be swayed so simply and casually, as by a simple speech, they better keep them at home and not expose them to anything else.  The opposition to the speech really cannot see how foolish they are.

5. profile image0
    Fay Paxtonposted 7 years ago

Presidents have addressed school children since the beginning of the presidency.  Why would there be a question about the correctness of it now?

working