jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is our democracy in the hands of the wealthiest 1%?

1. Marshall Taft profile image60
    Marshall Taftposted 7 years ago

Is our democracy in the hands of the wealthiest 1%?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago

Money sure does talk, especially since the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Citizens United v Federal Election Commission last week. Not that there wasn't already too much money sloshing around Washington.

3. OregonWino profile image70
    OregonWinoposted 7 years ago

Not in the modern age I do not think so.  Rich people do not vote tax increases on themselves.

They have influence, but I think the middle 30% or so control who wins.

4. michiganman567 profile image85
    michiganman567posted 7 years ago

All of us in the bottom 99% get to vote for our favorite representative from top 1%.   But then again we do not have a democracy for starters, we have a republic.  And, I think that they know that if they get us 99%'ers too mad, then they will have a mess on their hands.  Don't underestimate the power of the masses.  Kings and Queens lost their kingdoms by doing that.

5. someonewhoknows profile image74
    someonewhoknowsposted 7 years ago

If,you mean the owners of the federal reserve banks,  the I.M.F. as well as the military industrial complex ,Insurance companies,pharmasuitical companies privately owned hospitals  oil cartels and corporations like MONSANTO that want to control our food supply and the governments.that administer what their masters tell them to do? Or,is it just my imagination working overtime?
    I believe in a republic although it seems "republicans" like George W. Bush  always refered to our government as a democracy.I didn't vote for him or his father,or Ronald Reagan.I didn't vote for Clinton either.Unfortunately I did vote for Obama instead of Ron Paul.That was a mistake on my part ,and everyone elses too I suspect.

Closed to reply

working