Enlish Only!

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (70 posts)
  1. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago
    1. onthewriteside profile image61
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL!  Now that's funny!

2. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's hilarious!  Pretty sad, too.  Thanks for sharing.

3. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh the irony

2. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Now, that's funny.

3. My Inner Jew profile image60
    My Inner Jewposted 14 years ago

haha thats great...I am all for american's knowing multiple languages...honestly we are behind every other country and it is going to hurt our chances getting good jobs as more people move to the US from foreign countries.

4. spiderpam profile image74
    spiderpamposted 14 years ago

smile

5. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Many signs here in California are in both English and Spanish, but I can read the latter language enough to comprehend most.  Once my brother in law and I had an out and out debate about how he should learn a little bit of Spanish since he works with people on construction sites that speak limited English, which made him very mad.  However, he was the one complaining about the language barrier and having to draw pictures, so if he learned a little bit of Spanish that could greatly help.  I wish I spoke the language more proficiently, so sometimes it is fun to watch those stations to try and see how much I can comprehend.

1. My Inner Jew profile image60
      My Inner Jewposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now I also think that if you are going to be a citizen or live here you should know english.  It is important to know english more so.

1. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In California many people are recent immigrants learning the language, and since I work with the public I often have to communicate with many ESL speakers.  Many are learning the language, but being able to speak Spanish also helps me.  I enjoy being able to communicate with people as much as I can, so by strengthing my Spanish language skills I am able to convey what I am thinking and feeling to more people.

I personally think foreign languages should be taught in US schools earlier, which is why Americans are behind Europeans on that accord.  I had a pen pal from Norway who spoke fluent English by the time she was in seventh grade, and she did not even live around any native speakers.  She simply wanted to be able to communicate with a wide range of people.

tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder about that. I do think learning languages is a good in and of itself, but it is still the case today that most Americans will rarely, if ever, need to use foreign language skills throughout their working lives. If teaching time is a limited resource, might that time not be better spent improving math and science skills, for example? I'm not sure, just putting it out there.

Also, I wonder if all the signs and phone prompts and whatnot in Spanish aren't really to the detriment of Spanish-speaking immigrants and unfair to non-Spanish speaking immigrants. Again, just putting it out there.

For many of us we are interested in knowing more about the world, and living in California I would say there is a need for bilingual signs.  Canada used to have the stigma regarding bilingualism, but they finally got over their issues with it.  The reality is many people in the US are bilingual, or have parents that are, so I do not think your ideas would be helpful.  I am just putting that out there.

You don't think that having access to almost everything in Spanish might retard the acquisition of English for many Spanish-speaking immigrants?

Knowing about the world is nice, but not what I was talking about.

No I think it will prompt people to become more bilingual, which actually is a good brain exercise really smile.  You may not be talking about knowing more about the world, but I certainly am when it comes to being able to speak Spanish more fluently.

Are you saying those signs and whatnot are there to teach native English speakers to speak Spanish?!

For me it has.  You know a good part of the English language is based on French and Latin anyway, so it is not at all that difficult to find cognate words.  Also, I have noticed my niece and nephew know far more Spanish words than I did growing up.  In many ways Spanish words are infiltrating the colloquial language, which does not bother me.  English is one of the most mixed up languages in the world anyway, and that goes back to the days of Norman the Conqueror when French became the official language of the court in England.

6. dingdong profile image57
    dingdongposted 14 years ago

Troublesome EEEEEEEEE!!!!! tongue

7. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

The Montessori schools have the right idea. They start kids learning a second language at 3 years old. (Only problem for my kids was that French was being taught. Not very useful for them.)

1. RKHenry profile image64
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh my.  Next too English, French is the second most common spoke language.  It is spoken through out Europe, the Middle East, Africa, India, Korea, Vietnam, Japan, and on and on and on.  It is as common as English, if not more so.  What in heavens gave the idea that French wasn't useful?  Amazing.

I think what Ironher is trying to say is she would prefer her kids to learn another foreign language that is spoken more widely where she lives.  Of course French is useful, but if I had thought more about it I would have taken Spanish in high school instead.

Boy this is going to get me into trouble.  But please do excuse me- for this is not how I personally feel.  But in the business world, and in the intellectual community- Spanish is the poor man's language Sweetie.  Only blue collar workers are pushed towards Spanish.  Children with higher intellect, its preferred they be taught French.  Now I'm a big city kid.  I've lived my whole life in the educational community, this has been my personal experience.  Spanish is derived from old world French.  It is not the other way around.  If you are fluent in French, you are capable of speaking quite a bit of Spanish as a side effect. Same with Italian Sweetie.  It is the mother of the romantic languages.  French is far more important to learn.  Because you can communicate with far more people. But hey- no matter the language is it good to learn it.

1. Aya Katz profile image83
            Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Both Spanish and French are derived from Latin. Neither is derived from the other.

Spanish is derived from old world French. All languages are built from one another.  All of them.  But of the romantic language bases, French is the predominant influence.  It is the dominator.

The "base" of all the romance languages is Latin. And languages did not develop over time in a simple 1-2-3 progression. It is far more complex than that.

Well something like that.  Googled that did yeah?

No, thanks for asking.

2. Aya Katz profile image83
                Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Study the Italic Branch of the Indo-European language family.

http://www.danshort.com/ie/iecentum.htm

That's a good link.

2. tksensei profile image60

Do you have any proof of this or is it just your prejudice in favor of French? (which you are welcome to)

prejudice in favor of French?  Yeah that's it.  I'll write a hub about the history of languages, which I carry a degree in from Brown and email it to you.  That be alright with you?

Write whatever floats your boat. I'll be happy to read and correct your hub if you want.

How about you try to apply to my great university, and I'll let you set in my class free for a day.  Better yet, you can help me grade a dissertation or two on the subject matter.  How many languages do you speak?  Fluent in Latin are you?  Well, feel free to speak it if you know it so well.  How about French?  Spanish?  Italian? Cajun?  Or just plain Carolina back hills dialect?  Haven't graded too many thesis in written in Latin with Southern style English twist.  Could be interesting.

Thanks for the invitation, but I've already got a master's degree in Linguistics so I'll pass on the visit. If it makes you feel any better I guess I can get by in 5 or 6 languages alright, and I have proofed, edited, and graded many, many, many university papers of all sorts.

Anyway, thanks for your recent hub comments. Much appreciated.

2. curiozities profile image62
                    curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Quemadmodum possums scire utrum vere simus an solum sentiamus nos esse, y'all? smile

2. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

RK: My kids have spent most of their time in the US, South America and the Caribbean. Trust me -- their Spanish has been called on many, many times, but never their French. Not even in the French Quarter in New Orleans.

My experiences are the same as yours having grown up in Southern California where the majority of ESL speakers are of Hispanic origin.  Interestingly I even had several professors that were highly intellectual historians conducting ground breaking research on Spanish colonialism in Mexico, and those first hand documents were obviously not in French.

8. tksensei profile image60

I believe Spanish is spoken by more people than French, and of course Mandarin is the most common first language.

No Tk.  Sorry. You must be American.

Link?

On a side note, where are you from?

1. Make  Money profile image66
          Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here is a list by popularity:

1. Mandarin Chinese - 882 million
          2. Spanish - 325 million
          3. English - 312-380 million
          4. Arabic - 206-422 million
          5. Hindi - 181 million
          6. Portuguese - 178 million
          7. Bengali - 173 million
          8. Russian - 146 million
          9. Japanese - 128 million
          10. German - 96 million

1. Laura Berwick profile image78
            Laura Berwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think there is a middle ground to all of this. As you can see French is not listed on the list above of popularity, but statistics can be interpreted however you like. Although French is not listed on this list, I believe that it is more widely spoken than many of these languages -- many of which are localized to a specific geographic area. French is spoken in many African countries for example which makes it a very useful language if one is interested in international travel.

This is not to say that Spanish is not also a very useful language, especially for someone spending alot of time in the southern US, or Latin America.

I think it really all comes down to where you live, and what you're trying to accomplish with your second language.

2. tksensei profile image60

You saw the link?

9. apeksha profile image66
    apekshaposted 14 years ago

Now thats funny LOL
    smile

10. tksensei profile image60
  11. tksensei profile image60
  12. tksensei profile image60
  13. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I think hubs about dogs are cute.  What is more cute than a dog?

Other than me? Not much!

I have written hubs about my dogs too, so I meant that as a compliment smile. I enjoy the animal hubs very much.

Taken as such! Thank you. I'll check out your doghubs.

14. profile image0
    llanishenposted 14 years ago

This interesting stuff. They should go back to basics.

15. curiozities profile image62
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

My favorite funny English website: http://engrish.com/

16. getpaidtopost profile image40
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

So my spelling is not that bad after all.

17. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Definitely knowing Spanish is more useful in South American countries.  It is also the fastest growing language, if I'm not mistaken.

But what RK is saying about French is also true.  Many African nationals speak French (ie, my friend from the Ivory Coast who completed a Phd in French just recently), plus many other French colonized countries....here listed

I cannot say numbers wise it is as common as English, but certainly, when considering world literature, it has been perhaps more influential than Spanish.

You are. It is still Mandarin. English is the most commonly studied foreign language. Spanish checks in after that.

18. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

If we give priority to language, then the matter (to be discussed) will go back. Whether we like it or not, English has established itself as a global language. Almost all countries have English-speaking people. It will be better to let it be as it is. English may well be treated as a common language. Let no other controversy crop up in the present controversial world.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)