Do you think the Northern States put forth enough effort to help the slaves afte

1. Shelah profile image54
    Shelahposted 8 years ago

Do you think the Northern States put forth enough effort to help the slaves after they were...

granted freedom? I don't. I think that is why to this day you see undereducated, poverty stricken, societies that are barely able to eat. My grandfather felt as a slave, he was cared for, loved, and never wanted for anything. When granted his freedom he was lucky enough to be given a last name and land from his former owner. But I think that more should have been done to help these people transition. The North took away slavery, but what did they do to help the South support these people and empower them to a place of true equality? Business closed down because of lack of funds for workforce.

2. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

The Civil War was not about slavery.  The traitor Lincoln grabbed on that as a popular justification for his "War of Northern Aggression".  Since the real reason for the war was to establish the supremacy of the Federal Government over the state governments, why bother helping out the ex-slaves when that objective was accomplished?

Don't believe all the "shinola" that is preached in the government schools (public schools) about what a hero Lincoln was.  Look up some "non-establishment" history.

Disclaimer:  I am NOT a Southerner, just an educated Northerner.

3. Shelah profile image54
    Shelahposted 8 years ago

Thank you for answering. My husband came in as I was reading your answer and went on a rant about how slavery was not the "real" issue. I wonder if this is what O'bama was referring to when he said "We have been trying this for 100 years"? Maybe he meant that the federal government had been trying to control the lives of the people?  I have read on several occasions that Lincoln is O'bama's favorite President.

working