jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Does God really help those who only help themselves?

1. Nyamache profile image49
    Nyamacheposted 5 years ago

I have tried to search a Bible verse that says God will only help those who help themselves but I have never found such a verse. Do you believe that God will help those who only help themselves? Explain your answer.

1. Davidsonofjesie profile image59
      Davidsonofjesieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

you will not find it in the Bible,if we could help ourselfs we would not need God

Nyamacheposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very true Davidsonofjesie, we need God's help. Without God we cannot help ourselves.

2. Chris Neal profile image78
      Chris Nealposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Of course it's not in the Bible. In fact, it would be in direct contradiction to the Lord's prayer, in which Jesus taught us to say "Give us today our daily bread." We are to rely on God for everything.

Still, God does not want us to become sloths, fatalistically waiting for everything. We are still to work, and work hard. And many times, even when we don't know it, the hardest workers are the ones He is training best for His kingdom.

But no, that verse is definitly not in the Bible.

Nyamacheposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Chris Neal. It will be against Lord's prayer,"Give us today our daily bread." But why do some people emphasize that God helps those who help themselves yet it is not written anywhere in the Bible?

1. Chris Neal profile image78
          Chris Nealposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It is in the Bible that men (people) should work and work hard. And there is a general human tendency to think that those who are not well off are usually that way because of a lack of effort on their part. So in religious societies there would be a tendency to think that God is punishing those who are not well off, even though the Bible makes it clear that this is not so.

2. Jerami profile image72
    Jeramiposted 5 years ago

There are many things such as this that people SAYsssss ....  is in the bible  that isn't.

And if a new version of the KJV version were to be printed that added such a verse .....  wouldn't make it so; "that God said it".   
    Sometimes the most unselfish people seem to reap the greatest rewards .....   so could you not say that to be unselfish can be a selfish thing to do ???      We can say anything that we want to say ...  don't make it so.

3. Shadesbreath profile image85
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

I think the point is that God wants us to put in some effort, like real effort, not fifteen minutes of "trying" and then collapsing on the couch and lamenting for six months on Facebook how unfair and hard the world of employment is because you just can't get a job, etc.

Frankly, I think most of the Biblical figures would puke if they saw what the typical American was like. And I don't even put any credence in the Bible beyond its awesome philosophical and social value (selectively speaking), and a belief that is wayyyy outside of any kind of belief in magical beings or any of that other silly stuff.

4. viryabo profile image85
    viryaboposted 4 years ago

Like Shadesbreath mentioned, it mainly to ensure we make some effort.
    I think we need to meet God at least halfway, then maybe he knows we are serious about whatever it is we seek.

5. paradigmsearch profile image93
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

6. manofmystery24 profile image59
    manofmystery24posted 4 years ago

I think God helps people that put their time and energy into something with a positive intention. What you put out is what you're going to get back.

working