jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

can you become a guard with a criminal background?

1. profile image46
    sean fletcherposted 7 years ago

can you become a guard with a criminal background?

i have drug convictions on my record but I would like to become a security guard.

2. Christopher Floyd profile image59
    Christopher Floydposted 7 years ago

You could probably do an internet search of your state's private security requirements and find out.
    If you bother to tell the potential employer, offer to take a drug test and suggest they test you periodically through a probationary period. This is assuming you are drug free. If you aren't, forget about it.
    Also, it'll depend on the type of guard duty.
    If its for an armored car company or something that involves money, expect them to ask if you've ever thought about how to rob them. Answer yes. Anyone who applies for those jobs and answers no is lying and will be overlooked.
    Lastly, put yourself through some criminal justice and communications classes and any certifications you can (CDL, CPR, concealed carry if your convictions were misdemeanors, volunteer at drug court-style programs, volunteer or auxiliary fire fighter or police training, etc.).
    Google Securitas if you're looking to work for something bigger than your local shopping center or mall.

3. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 7 years ago

I would suggest contacting Judge Mathis (as seen on tv) I believe he could better instruct you in this matter.

4. Terry B. Davis profile image62
    Terry B. Davisposted 7 years ago

Christopher Floyd's answer says it all. The only thing I would add, is the length of time that has passed since your convictions. The greater time period between the crime and the application without any further criminal conduct the better off you are.

Also age at which the offense was commited, after all there is a big difference between a 18 year old experimenting and a 28 year old user.