jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it right for a person that has been convicted of a felony,to be denied employ

1. profile image46
    James Womackposted 7 years ago

Is it right for a person that has been convicted of a felony,to be denied employment?

Are Felons so badly label that we as society feel that they have no rights since they commited crimes that resulted in a felony conviction.Why are their right to vote is taken away from them?Some states their Drivers Lic. is suspended

2. flounderingsahm profile image72
    flounderingsahmposted 7 years ago

This is a touchy topic and one that doesn't have a right or a wrong answer.  Each person and situation is different.  For example, I wouldn't hire someone who was charged with aggrevated rape for a position that dealt with abused women.  And I wouldn't hire someone who was charged with armed robbery for a service position that went to peoples' houses.

That being said, if I was hiring for a position and I saw a felony theft when a guy was 21 and saw that he went to school got his degree and held a few other positions and he is now older and wiser, I would give him a shot.  I understand how people do stupid things when they are younger....trust me, I was pretty stupid but luckily no felony on my record!

3. justom profile image67
    justomposted 7 years ago

The shitstem in this country is a mess. Instead of a long winded rant I would suggest reading books written by Angela Davis. I just finished "Are Prisons Obsolete". A very rude awakening to the mess we call justice. Peace!!

4. Cumbesef profile image60
    Cumbesefposted 7 years ago

Yes.  When a person is convicted of a felony - depending upon the position, denying them employment makes perfect sense.  That being said, I would like to see a time limit placed upon that stipulation.  For example, Felons serve time in prison.  Upon release, they are indoctrinated back into society under the supervision of a parole officer.  That can last five years.  Once that period is up - and they have demonstrated their positive behavior within society, the stipulation should be lifted and they should then qualify to work anywhere as well as vote. 

I believe some people can be rehabilitated.  Those that cannot, usually demonstrate that within a five year period.

5. SweetMocha-Monroe profile image76
    SweetMocha-Monroeposted 7 years ago

Will someone tell me.... how will they take care of themselves?
    Home,food,clothing, etc....
    Many of them are facing child support once released, how are they to provide money for their children if no one will give them a chance for at least five years.?

working