jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

US Government to take control of the Internet., pending vote on the hill

1. outdoorsguy profile image57
    outdoorsguyposted 7 years ago

US Government to take control of the Internet., pending vote on the hill

do you think this is the unconstitutional and a grab for political power and stifling free speech or do you support this action that will allow the president to shut down the internet when and if he decides its a National Emergency.

2. ZarkoZivkovic profile image76
    ZarkoZivkovicposted 7 years ago

The stupidest thing I have ever heard, what would be a national crisis or a world wide crisis that would call for the internet shut down? Pictures of US president with a girl??? Seen that smile I don't think it's going to happen, no one has that power, internet is for the whole world, who can shut my internet here in Serbia???

3. MikeJones76 profile image58
    MikeJones76posted 7 years ago

I doubt it, but I think is a good idea. For ever, I mean. After all, less than 1% of the web is awesome only 2% is good and the rest is crap or copy - of the crappy part.

4. John T. profile image57
    John T.posted 7 years ago

I think that it is a violation of the first amendment (if it comes to censoring what is on the web).  I don't see why the president would want to do that but I don't understand alot of the things he does.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Joe Leiberman has proposed a bill...that is all for now. The White House has said they do not agree with it...

6. KFlippin profile image60
    KFlippinposted 7 years ago

There's more to this issue than Lieberman's bill.  I recall recent discussion about re-defining the internet as a form of telecommunication like the telephone?  So that the fed can regulate it, of course. Perhaps this is part of Lieberman's bill, I haven't read it.

Also, there is a recent move (May 2010) to have the FCC theoretically explore ways to stop 'hate speech' on the internet and in other forms of media. The internet looks to be their focus, as a few pages of google searches were attached to the petition to Congress.  Unfortunately, the 'hate speech' targetted runs the gamut from true disgusting hate speech to so-called 'false arguments' and 'false facts', as perceived from the political perspective of the petitioners. 

This petition reaks of control of the internet, along the lines of Chavez, who recently locked up some folks who posted opinions detrimental to Chavez.  I'd rather see the internet shut down versus shut up.

7. SheriSapp profile image60
    SheriSappposted 7 years ago

I think this is another attempt at a power grab by a president who thirsts only for POWER and control. I bet we all know who would decide whether or not we had an emergency!!