Will (United States) America voters ever turn out in large numbers for an indepe

1. Daniel J. Neumann profile image61
    Daniel J. Neumannposted 7 years ago

Will (United States) America voters ever turn out in large numbers for an independent candidate...

for President? I'd think, evenutally, we'd get tired of both parties lying to us.

2. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

I would never say never although in considering the question I keep coming back to the thought of what the independent candidate would offer that is not already covered by the party line. By that I mean, if a voter tends to vote a straight liberal or conservative ticket, then the independent candidate represents the minset of "pick and choose" philsophy...basically conservative in some regards yet liberal in others. While that appeals to some people as "free thinking", it comes across to many others as confusing and unclear.  Voter comfort generally comes with knowing you agree reasonably well with the candidate on the issues. Now, if the independent candidate comes along and takes a totally liberal or conservative stand, then even if he attacts a relatively large voter base, he is still likely to only split the vote on that side of the aisle which makes it easier for someone with opposing views (i.e. the liberal party candidate) to waltz into office. This concept helps to understand how we evolved to a two party system and tend to remain in that configuration.  Some believe the "Tea Party" would be a viable third party in the political process but I submit to you that this is more a mindset of grass root movement toward conservative candidate support than it is a movement toward establishing a political party, a party, which by the way, would likely only splinter the conservative voter base and raise the opportunity for the liberal side to win more elections...there is only so much pie in the end...at least of the legal variety! WB