jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

If a person doesn't vote in an election, should they still have the right to com

1. Avamum profile image84
    Avamumposted 7 years ago

If a person doesn't vote in an election, should they still have the right to complain about the...

actions of the elected parties?

2. colonial82 profile image60
    colonial82posted 7 years ago

No, I really don't think they should since they had a chance to have a say but choose not to.  One vote does matter.

Have a good day.

3. rachellrobinson profile image80
    rachellrobinsonposted 7 years ago

I had a Poli Sci Professor my freshman year of College that said "If you don't vote you give up your right to complain about the outcome"

4. Donna Janelle profile image73
    Donna Janelleposted 7 years ago

Voting is our civic duty as American citizins. It is an awesome right that we have in this country, that many other people across the world to not have. I think that if we chose not to vote, we should not complain. But America is still a free country so we technically have the "right" to complain all we want regardless. I believe that every vote counts.

5. nwgirl1 profile image59
    nwgirl1posted 7 years ago

Sure, they have a right to share their views, even if they did not vote. Not voting may have been their way of protesting their choices politically....who do they vote for when they don't like any of the choices?

6. someonewhoknows profile image76
    someonewhoknowsposted 7 years ago

As Donna said;"technically" we are a free country ,free to vote at least.! Practically we may not be because we don't seem to have the will to Vote with our conscience as well as with our pocketbook.

7. Neverletitgo profile image77
    Neverletitgoposted 7 years ago

You have right to vote, but if you decided not vote you don't have complain about the election. Once you decided not to vote it means I don't care whoever wins so why you complain post election. I don't want to work and I need to get more money, that is not going to happen, a person doesn't vote and complain is simply like that lazy person.You can share your view but I think you can't complain since you chose not vote.

8. Avamum profile image84
    Avamumposted 7 years ago

Thanks for the responses, everyone. This is a question which raises a family debate every time we have an election, whether it is is municipal, provincial, or federal (I am Canadian).  My son, who is a first-year Poli Sci major, and my husband both prefer to abstain from voting when they don't like any of the candidates.  I always vote, even when I feel that I am being forced to choose the candidate that is the least dishonest and unqualified.  While I feel that voting is a duty in a democratic society, I also (grudgingly) acknowledge that BECAUSE we live in a democratic society that values free speech, everyone has the right to complain about elected officials.

working