Ice Cube is being criticized for talking to Trump. Thoughts?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 3 years ago

Famous gangster rapper, actor, and business entrepreneur, Ice Cube, spoke out recently online saying how both Republicans and Democrats need to earn the black vote this year for 2020, and how Democrats should NOT just take for granted that they have the black vote in the bag. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyFh6aZe0JQ

Needless to say, Ice Cube has reached out to both candidates, Joe Biden and Donald Trump, on how racial relations for the black community could possibly helped be resolved in this country.   The Joe Biden campaign told Ice Cube that while they liked some of his ideas, they told him that they would not speak to him in detail about them until after the election this year.   However, the Donald Trump campaign did decide to talk to Ice Cube more in detail about his ideas, when the Biden camp refused to before the election.   

Needless to say, this sparked various media sources to criticize Ice Cube, with some people on Twitter accusing him of being a traitor to his own race for merely speaking to Donald Trump's camp about his concerns.   

However, Ice Cube did clear that up in an interview citing how he hasn't sided with Trump's camp.  Basically stating that while he offered both parties a chance to talk to him, Trump's camp was the only one willing to talk to him about his ideas in detail, while Biden's camp said they would only do it after the election.  That's all.  Here's the CNN interview, where he cleared that up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUgzHvDBafE

What are your thoughts on this?  Was Ice Cube wrong for speaking to Trump's camp about his ideas and concerns to help the black community in this country?  Or do you think he did the right thing?  Please discuss.

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Why is this even a point of inquiry? People can speak to whomever they want. I am not influence by IceCube, IceTea, etc, I do my own thinking, thanks

Trump has exaggerated his contributions to the betterment of the Black community and is using these irrelevant entertainment types to entice the more feeble minded amongst us.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 3 years agoin reply to this

To be fair, I think Ice Cube's heart is in the right place, as I'm sure to him and his close family and friends, they see this as a great thing. I do think it's silly people want to harass the guy just because he talked to Trump when in the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant.   Hell for all we know, Trump probably isn't even going to use any of his suggestions if he gets reelected so this is just much ado about nothing if you ask me.     

I'm with you in that I think everyone should just make up their own mind on who they wish to vote for rather than follow the endorsement of whatever celebrities say they want people to vote for.     

As I said before in other forums, the 2020 election will probably go down in history as arguably one of the most important elections in this country as whoever wins will determine how fast our economy can recover from the pandemic so I would encourage anyone to do their own research and vote for the best candidate they feel is suited for that job; regardless who it is.

Steven, Trump has not been responsive to OUR issues, not really, when one gets beyond appearances and looks more intently.

I come from the "Motown" Era and don't even know who ICE Cube is. This communication may have more significance among our younger folks, Millenials and such that are attracted to celebrity and assign a certain credibility to what they say and do.

Trump is merely taking advantage of any rift within our group's relatively Democratic voting pattern that he can. But, if I were where he is now, I probably would too.

It never hurts to listen but I would do so with a critical ear.

This is 1932 all over again, where the direction of this very society could well be determined by our choice. This is of that magnitude.

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"Steven, Trump has not been responsive to OUR issues, not really, when one gets beyond appearances and looks more intently."

Now this is an interesting statement, the kind I'm seeing more and more of.  As an extreme example, if BLM (speaking for blacks) demands a pot of money be given to all black people (reparations), and no law enforcement for blacks (defund police), but Trump doesn't do it, instead providing more jobs for blacks than ever before, it doesn't mean he hasn't been responsive.  It means he doesn't think your demands will do any good.  Or, perhaps, that they will do more harm than good.

Nor is it limited to Trump or to blacks - I see over and over that when demands are not met the complaint is that "They aren't listening to me!", and that just isn't true.  It means that the demands are unreasonable or impossible, and a different solution than what is demanded is required.

The BLM does not speak for all blacks, any more than Promise Keepers speak for all whites. While I share certain broad objectives with them, I do not approve of all of their tactics. But,  I prefer some activity in the right direction over none at all or even worse going in the wrong way.

Trump's involvement in improving the statistics for blacks on the employment scene and elsewhere is political theatre. We all would be heralding any real accomplishment, but as I have shown in another thread appearances are not necessarily the reality.

I know that while the demands of certain groups are politically unpalatable, that does not mean that Trump has provided an acceptable alternative.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
              Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Y E P

2. Sharlee01 profile image80
        Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Just a quick couple of questions --- Do you feel Trump's economy prior to the COVID crisis did offer Black citizens, men, and women, more jobs, more opportunities for employment? Did Trump's prison reform provide the black community benefits other administrations did not address? And do you feel his recognition to get cash on a longer-term basis helpful to
        Black colleges? Have the opportunity zones in some respect aided the black community? Yes or no will suffice. I just hope to have your opinion on the several actions Trump did, that he felt would help black communities. No more no less.

Always have time for you, Sharlee

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52907646

I used a British source that is outside the fray and is more likely to be objective in its findings.

While the numbers have been positive, they reflects trends that started and continued with the Obama administration, so Trump really can't credit for on going trend.

I knew that Obama had been working on prison reform during his administration.

I will be back with more.

As for the Enterprise Zones, the reviews are mixed. But it is pretty certain that the President did exaggerate as to the scope and scale of his effort. This is revealed in the following article.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/06/trump … vestments/

Right.  Of course Trump can't be given credit for taking the most anemic recover in history into the greatest black employment in history.  Of course not.

Did you bother to look at the graphs provided in the BBC article, Wilderness?

Yeah.  Each of them shows the best since Trump took over.  But of course Obama gets the credit because, after all, we can't be giving credit for anything to Trump.  Not even if it was his understanding of business, and the importance of business, that resulted in those jobs.

None of them, however, go beyond Obama: do you think that, just maybe, he might have picked up (with allowances for the recession) from previous presidents.

Now there you go again, with conjecture that that flies in the face of clear statistical data that you cannot backup.

You got some sort of burr in your saddle to assume that any evidence not favorable to Trump is the basis for some sort of conspiracy worldwide to discredit him?

You tell me: Obama, out of office for 3 years, doing his best to hamstring business and lower profits vs Trump, in office and giving business an incentive to create jobs.  And Obama is given credit for the lowest black unemployment in history.

Make sense to you?

I appreciate the link, I respect bbc.com. and find them as a rule very accurate as I  do with the article you offered. My view of the Obama economy is that he came into a pretty good mess, and he did work to repair the poor economy. It was slow, and for about six years, and then his economy took a good upswing. When Trump came into office he continued a good pace to build a stong booming economy, until the pandemic. I must give Trump credit for his economy, as I gave Obama credit for working hard to correct a failing economy although it was a slow recovery, he did it. I added a link with some Trump economic stats that show he did well in regards to Household incomes for all, and cut poverty rates by race.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/inc … -low-2019/

I think the Opportunities zones are a good idea and hopefully will help pan out. Hard to find much info on the progress of the program.

I have done a lot of reading on Trump's prison reform, and I think this a positive policy for the black community.

"Was Ice Cube wrong for speaking to Trump's camp about his ideas and concerns to help the black community in this country?"

No, it would seem he wanted to do a bit of research before he cast his vote. I give Ice Cube credit for contacting both parties. I give the Republican credit for the best listening to his views. It's clear and factual Biden will not answer very important questions. This alone in my view --- makes my radar go up. I think Ice Cube did the right thing by becoming involved in the election, and even having the nerve to want to share his ideas.

Ice Cube had every right to step up as a black man and represent himself, can he speak for the "black community"?  I will leave that one up to the black community... 

I will add my opinion --- I think he showed he was not willing to just support a party because he is black, and expected to blindly support that party.

I highly doubt that he asked to speak to the candidates in order to decide how to vote.  That would require an incredible ego to think that he, above all other people, had that right.

Far more likely, it would seem, is that he intends to speak for the black community...whether they want him to or not.

1. Sharlee01 profile image80

I agree he would not have been presumptuous enough o request to talk with Trump or Biden, purposely used the word "both parties".Both youtube made his point clear, he has developed a contract that he feels would benefit black Americans, he did not seem to associate himself with either party. To be honest I was keeping my comment fluffy... So, what I actually felt stood out to me, and hopefully it stood out to Ice Cube, that the Dem party said let's talk after the election. (pretty much like Biden's attitude on questions at this point on court-packing.) While he did get to present his contract and discuss it to the Republican party. He did not mention who he spoke to, so I take the interview with Como with a grain of salt. I like names that I can put a face to. 

Hey, it is well known Trump will meet with many people you would think he would not meet with. Hopefully, Ice Cube tries to make an appointment with him. I have found when it comes to trying to solve big problems he prefers to handle them himself. Like the travel ban, he made many very unhappy with his actions.

Oh, I have no argument with the underlying politics of talking to Biden or Trump.  It just wasn't for the purpose of deciding how to vote.

But when it comes to talking to those people, at the very top of the heap, it can only be done by others at the top - they simply don't have time (nor inclination if we're honest) to talk to everyone that wants to meet them.  And that means that Ice Cube is attempting to set himself up as the "voice" of blacks - something that is highly debatable, but that getting either candidate to discuss might help.  And THAT has to be a large portion of the reasoning in asking to discuss.

I had another listen to both videos. And you are correct he does not indicate he is doing research that would aid him in making a decision on who to vote for.

And yes as a rule most at the "top" don't have time to speak with everyone. Hopefully whoever spoke with Ice Cube follows through with passing on his concerns and his "Contract with Black America". It would speak well for the president to offer Ice Cube some feedback. I would consider it a step in the right direction. Not sure it would indicate Ice Cube would then become the voice of the Black people. Maybe one of the voices that had the initiative to step up with some concerns and possible ideas to help with systemic racism. 

This is an interesting topic, and it will be interesting to see if Ice Cube will be heard in the end. He certainly is a contractual gentleman. I would love to be able to read his contract.

1. IslandBites profile image90
                IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you...

3. Fancy Poet Girl profile image78
      Fancy Poet Girlposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps this makes me weird but I've never heard of IceCube. Is that really his name? And no opinion on the politics. I'd prefer to stay out of it.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think his real name is O'Shea Jackson if I'm not mistaken.  He became a rapper as a very young age, when he helped form the NWA music group that was comprised of many famous gangster rappers of his generation such as Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, DJ Yella, and MC Ren.  No, none of them used their real names.  They changed it to sound cooler I guess just like Ice Cube did.  Anyways, they started off with hit songs like "Fuck the police."   I'm dead serious that's literally the title of one of their songs.  No joke. 

Anyways, Ice Cube went on to produce his own songs, while taking up acting in various films like "Barbershop" and "Friday."   He's also a business entrepreneur and businessman these days, as I know he has his own basketball league as well, where instead of the traditional five on five format like we see in the NBA, his league has a three on three format.

2. IslandBites profile image90
    IslandBitesposted 3 years ago

He can can speak to whomever he wants.

But Biden camp was smart. Dont call us, we'll call you. lol
    He is a controversial public figure.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

It is a non-partisan Issue. The African American community apparently needs (big) help.
    Why NOT ask the leaders at the top, who represent (all) the people, to help it?

Biden put off the African American community.
    Shame on him.

Trump said, "SURE!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)