jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

why is 9/11 so important but the oklahoma bombing is never mentioned.

1. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

why is 9/11 so important but the oklahoma bombing is never mentioned.

to me oklahoma is the worst terrorist attack in the US history but we rarely if ever hear about it.most americans i know don't even remember the date it happened on.

2. A M Werner profile image59
    A M Wernerposted 7 years ago

Fearing angry white militants doesn't serve the best interests of a government trying to justify war in the Middle East.

3. justom profile image69
    justomposted 7 years ago

I think it was '94 or '95 and that's a great ? I remember a guy I worked with saying he hoped they "bomb the shit out of them" (whoever did it) and I told him not to jump to conclusions. The fact that Timothy McVey was an American threw folks. We always seem to like it better when we can hate someone else I guess.

4. Jarn profile image84
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

Foreign nationals as part of a large, well-funded, trained organization who want every man, woman, and child in America dead are an ongoing danger. The Oklahoma city bomber has been caught and no longer represents a threat. That's the primary difference.

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

drbillfannin. what does that have to do with the fact that people seem to want to forget oklahoma. if i was american i would be more concerned with some guy from my own country then a group of terrorists. my point in asking this question is that it seems that using propoganda has made americans paranoid and it justifies the crazy amount of money wasted on the war on terrorism without actually accomplishing a damn thing.

6. Freeway Flyer profile image91
    Freeway Flyerposted 7 years ago

9/11 should receive a lot of attention, but the lessons of Oklahoma City should also be remembered. Oklahoma City should be a reminder that we do not only face external threats. In fact, there is a greater chance that I will be harmed by some sort of an American criminal than a foreign terrorist. Efforts to achieve national security need to be more broad and sophisticated than simply hunting down foreign terrorists through military measures. As others have said here, we often fixate on foreign terrorists because they seem like a clearer target. Potential domestic threats can be trickier to identify and counteract. Here are some further thoughts:

http://hubpages.com/hub/911-Terrorism-Your-Enemy
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Dont-Confuse-Pu … th-Justice

working