jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think that incarceration rehabilitates criminals, and if not how would yo

1. Tony DeLorger profile image80
    Tony DeLorgerposted 7 years ago

Do you think that incarceration rehabilitates criminals, and if not how would you solve the problem?

Criminals seem to harden in prisons, rather than rehabilitate. How does society be protected and give ciminals a chance of making amends?

2. dahoglund profile image83
    dahoglundposted 7 years ago

There are three theories at work in our system.
    1.rehabilitation which works in some cases but probably not a majority.
    2 punishment which is based on that one commits a crime they should pay a price.
    3 Get them off the streets, which is the most practical, in my opinion,

These three theories tend to conflict and cause confusion in the overall system. I personally favor rehabilitation where it is realistic and otherwise remove them fom the general population for the sake of public safety.

3. Wayne Brown profile image82
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

I think we first have to stop and remember that incarceration was never really designed into the justice system as a means or rehabilitation. That came as an afterthought.  The primary reasoning behind incarceration was deterrence.  There are many who point to the system and say that it has failed because it lacks rehabilitation. Stop and think about it for a bit, we have a police force on the street which is placed there primarily as a deterrent to breaking the law.  If the law is broken, then they attempt to enforce the law by apprehending to perpetrator.  Still, even with police presence, there continues to be crime.  If we use the same rationale that we apply to prisons, then we could also conclude that police forces are a failed concept when in actuality, it is the best alternative that we currently have to fight crime.  When a person commits a crime, they risk losing their freedom. They take that gamble.  Rehabilitation cannot be forced on an individual no more than you can make someone quit smoking or drinking. The individual must have a mindset to seek the rehabilitation and to implement it into his life.  Unfortunately, too many criminals are not of that mindset.  WB

4. SteppingForward profile image59
    SteppingForwardposted 7 years ago

Criminals are just as capable to live and learn.  God gave us all free will and some need to be taught how to use it.  The best measure I believe our society could take, would be to catch the behaviors young and have the necessary measures obtainable for any income level.  Counseling at young ages could guide even the most disturbed mind into the right direction, I've seen it before my own eyes. For those whom this wouldn't apply to, they would need serious help in and out of the walls. Those same people would have to use their god given will to live intentionally honest for them to recieve adequate help.

5. Alternative Prime profile image75
    Alternative Primeposted 7 years ago

I think it depends on the nature of the crime committed, For hard core violent offenders you could probably flip a coin to determine the extent of rehabilitation which may occur as a result of incarceration.

On the other hand, with regard to some non violent less severe cases I think just the thought of or actually spending some time behind bars might be enough of a wake up call to deter future infractions of the law.

Great Question by the way.

Alternative Prime

6. L.L. Woodard profile image77
    L.L. Woodardposted 7 years ago

Incarceration alone does not rehabilitate criminals. The lose of freedom serves as a deterrent to some, so much so that they walk the straight and narrow upon release.

7. JCBS profile image60
    JCBSposted 7 years ago

we don't incarcerate to rehabilitate. We incarcerate to remove them from our society.

They are the problem and they need to be eliminated; either keep them locked up or permanently do away with them.

Closed to reply

working