jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should wealthy people be targeted by the government more just because they are w

1. ladyjane1 profile image82
    ladyjane1posted 7 years ago

Should wealthy people be targeted by the government more just because they are wealthy?

2. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

what do you mean by targeted? being wealthy isn't a crime but if your wealthy of course you should be responsible for how you got your wealth. the government isn't going to bother wealthy people as they control the government so i doubt this question will ever apply to life.

3. ladyjane1 profile image82
    ladyjane1posted 7 years ago

What I should've said was should the government "Tax" wealthy people more because they have more money? I know wealth is not a crime.

4. Wayne Brown profile image82
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

The emphasis in our society should be on creating opportunity to suceed.   The government professes sympathy for the poor but seems to abhor the so-called rich or success in our society. As a people, we cannot protect our way of life by placing an unreasonable portion of the tax load on those who have taken the opportunity and achieved success. In doing so, we penalize them for the opportunity that we all cherish as Americans. People who risk their assets to create companies which in turn creates jobs deserve to make a profit and to retain a significant portion of the earnings as a reward of their risk.  If we allow the government to simply tax the individual out of the money then we soon kill the opportunity to succeed.  Far too many in high positions in our government and among our citizenry fail to correlate the growth in the job market and expansion in the economy with the success of those in the private sector.  I want rich people to make even more money because it probably means that I too am moving along and gaining from the overall momentum of the growth.  Government is a necessary evil in our society. In the interest of keeping taxation low for all of us, it should be in the interest of every citizen to keep the expenses of government as low as possible.  I do not expect the government to go to Warren Buffet's house, extract a bag full of money from him and then in turn give it to me.  I have no desire to get ahead in life by having a portion of what Mr. Buffet has earned for himself...he should keep the bulk of it and pay a reasonable of tax on it.  I, in turn, need to get off my butt and do the best I can to exceed what Mr. Buffett has achieved in as honest and forthright way as I can with the opportunity that is afforded me under the founding documents of this country. No one promised me that I would be successful, they simply offered the opportunity to try.  That is what America is about and that is what makes it the great place it has been for ages to live and work.  WB

5. vinnielee2010 profile image60
    vinnielee2010posted 7 years ago

I know that a flat tax would not be the answer for everything
    But It would more fair for everyone
    as long as they got rid of that income tax
    But then all the IRS agents would be looking for work