Can someone define what their, or anyone else's "fair share" is?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (24 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 6 years ago

Can someone define what their, or anyone else's "fair share" is?

Each day I hear complaints about rich people not paying their "fair share" of taxes - someone define "fair share" for me. 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13680465_f260.jpg

2. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12739046_f260.jpg

There are those who are haters, negaters,  &/or otherwise jealous of the more socioeconomically successful among us.  They are rife here on HubPages.   There are people who erroneously believe in income distribution equity & believe that the more socioeconomically successful ought to "pay more" to support those who are "socioeconomically lacking".   There are people among us who want others to pay to upkeep their negative &/or lazy lifestyle.

There are a few who contend that there shouldn't be wealthy people when there are poor, impoverished people.  In their minds, wealth represents an injustice.  They are for totally socioeconomic equity distribution across the board.  Such people refuse to realize that many wealthy people are the way they are because of strategizing, sacrifice, & smart work.   Wealthy people WORK....oftentimes working long hours & sacrificing their free time to get where they are.  Most people aren't inordinately socioeconomically successful because they REFUSE to make the necessary sacrifices.  They would rather do the obligatory 9-5 & no more!  They feel that work is a tolerable nuisance instead of a passion which wealthy &/or highly successful people subscribe to & practice.

Wealthy people are continuously working & learning what they need to do to stay on top of their game.   They never stop-they know that the more skills & education they accumulate, the better they are. Most people aren't about to do this- they do the minimum to remain at their particular level of success & no more.   In essence, people's net worth are equal to their particular skill set level & expenditure.   However, most people fail to realize this.  They complain that they aren't successful & struggling but what are they doing to remedy the situation?  Nothing but complain & wishing that their situation would become easier by outside osmosis   People MAKE their lives what it is for positive or negative.  No one is going to rescue them but.....THEMSELVES.

Wealthy people do pay their fair share of taxes in comparison to the middle class.  It is poor people who pay the least taxes yet get the most government services.   Think welfare, food stamps, & section 8.   It is the idea of haters, negaters,  & other jealous people who want the wealthy to bear the brunt of supporting others & giving them a more comfortable lifestyle w/little or no effort on the latter's part.  It is part of the GIMME mentality which has been prominent in American culture.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image82
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't have said it better.

2. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Your answer is soo much BS, From start to finish. All of it.

3. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am economically successful and know many wealthy people. The majority of them are liars, cheats and thieves.

4. profile image50
      grieving dog owneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Most people don't equate the accumulation of wealth with success. Generation X is the 1st generation since the industrial revolution who have it harder than their parents. Welfare is a drop in the bucket. You have a very narrow view of the world.

5. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

C'mon Scott, the majority of wealthy AREN'T liars, cheats, nor thieves.  I know poor people who are LIARS, CHEATS, & THIEVES.  They are the biggest hustlers around.  They are quite adept at getting others to support them w/o any effort on THEIR p

6. wba108@yahoo.com profile image78
      wba108@yahoo.composted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well said !  +1 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

7. Besarien profile image74
      Besarienposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Let them eat cake mentality undermines the entire political system. 99 haters for every one of the richest one percent. I don't like those odds.

8. profile image0

Grace, I speak from a lot of personal experience. The idea that rich people are all morally good and poor people are all lazy and immoral is not realistic.

I agree there are poor people who are liars, cheats and thieves as well.

3. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 6 years ago

Not sure anyone knows the answer to the question. Years ago before I found out that the rich have so many loopholes and deductions, I thought the percentage that the government called for on them was outlandish. Now I'm not so sure. I do agree that there is an underclass that doesn't want to work or else can't work because of mental or physical challenges, under education or no education, and who think the educated and hard working should support them. However, this seems to fall on the hard-working middle class. I don't believe this is fair.
    I do have an opinion on what is not a fair share. I'm not an economist but I do know that a flat tax with no deductions would put the burden squarely on the middle class, because (let's use 10% as an example) 10% of $20,000 leaves a family of four with $18,000, while 10% of $100,000 leaves a family of four with $90,000, and 10% of $1,000,000 leaves a family of four with $900,000 to live on. I don't think that would be anyone's fair share if supporting the disabled and the truly lazy.

RJ Schwartzposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's the rub isn't it - all the protesting about fair share, when no one has a clue what it is or should be

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Amen, and how about all the privileged who can afford costal living who will now expect us to pay our "fair share" of helping them out of these hurricane losses. FEMA, charity, and our own insurance rates rising because of their damage.

4. DLayne profile image60
    DLayneposted 6 years ago

"Fair share" is someone else's concept of what he or she thinks that someone's "fair share" should be.  "Fair share" is not accurate; it is just someone else's belief.

For instance, when I worked at the American Red Cross, employees knew as soon as they were hired that it was expected that each one pays his or her "fair share" to the United Way campaign every year.  As an employee's salary increased, so did their "fair share" amount to donate to United Way.  Of course, employees had (have) the opportunity to declare which United Way agency received his or her donation.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88

That's like a church demanding that a parishioner give a tenth of his/her income or tithe to the church. Tithing started, you know, back when the tribal government was ruled by the rabbi or clergy, so it was a form of taxation.

5. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13685547_f260.jpg

Why exist? Ralph is going to insult me for answering his loaded Q.
    Do the rich pay their fair share? Ralph is asking if they do.
    Are the rich were paying too much tax? I think Ralph is implying that they do.

The image is from the Tax Policy Center. Please don't argue with me if you feel the numbers are wrong. I didn't come up with them. I am only referring to an official source that you may or may not consider 'fake news'.

Been through this Q before, and the questioner would prefer the answering in the same   fore-judgement that all the poor are undeserving succubuses living off other people's money. 

It's hilarious. The echo chamber is deafening. At least Ralph doesn't just erase my answers. (thank you).

Source: Tax Policy Center

And so, here are the tax percentages that each quintile actually pays as a percent of their true disposable incomes assuming everyone needs at least $2,000 a month just to get by;

quintile  TaxRate%
              DISPOSABLE
                income
    lowest      n/a
    second      116%
    Third       52%
    Fourth      45%
    Highest     37%
    Millionaire 32%

This certainly doesn’t look fair, much less progressive. A rate cannot even be calculated for the lowest quintile because they are $13,000 negative in the hole before even paying their taxes.

Yes, I know not everybody is paying $2k/month to get by. Please don't argue about how you know people who get by on less. This is nationwide stats, not your little town.

Your sarcasm is entertaining, however I was only seeing what people would say.

2. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Glad I made you smile. See? I'm not totally worthless trash that should be taken out and shot for  the good of society.

3. RJ Schwartz profile image87

Funny - even though I rarely agree with you, I am a big believer in never suppressing anyone's freedom of speech (rare here on HP, but that's just me)

6. wba108@yahoo.com profile image78
    wba108@yahoo.composted 6 years ago

To me fair is everybody pays the same percentage of income, like the tithe in the Old Testament. But now about half the country pays no federal tax while the top 25 percent of wage earners pay about 85 percent of all federal income taxes while not receiving any government perks or programs.

What doesn't seem fair is those who pay no Federal tax voting on how much to tax those who are required to pay taxes. Or for some Americans to live at the expense of other Americans without their consent. How is it fair for tax payers to by forced to pay hand outs to special interests such as to banks, Auto companies, college students, the poor and other numerous entities or individuals.

Is it fair for the government to impose such a high tax that less is available for charities of our choice rather than what the government see's fit to give it to. Is it fair to tax people for purposes not set forth in the Constitution (Article 1 section 8).

Is it fair that people should be penalized for their success and hard work? Is it fair that those who are already wealthy to hinder those who would like to be wealthy, by advocating and voting for high taxes for those earning their money now?

The answer to these questions is of course, no!

1. profile image0

A flat tax will dramatically increase the poverty rate and put even more wealth and power in the hands of a few people.

Wise people created the progressive tax system to avoid the problems above.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88

College towns have temporary residents. Students here who rent or live in dormitories are demanding that they vote on raising resident property taxes. Not fair for them to come in for a year or two, move on, and have a say in our permanent tax bills.

3. wba108@yahoo.com profile image78
      wba108@yahoo.composted 6 years agoin reply to this

MizBejabbers- You got it, a bunch of entitled brats demanding overtaxed property owners to pay their bills!! Ditto

7. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 6 years ago

Good answer - thanks for contributing to the discussion

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)