jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

though social assistance is needed, should the rules be a lot stiffer.

1. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

though social assistance is needed, should the rules be a lot stiffer.

shouldn't people on welfare have to prove they are actually looking for jobs and should we limit the length of time people are allowed assistance.

2. Wayne Brown profile image85
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

As Americans, we like to extend a helping hand but I tend to agree with your position. Social assistance should be a temporary thing that helps one get to a better position in life. Just like unemployment benefits, sooner or later, it runs out. There are those who seem to be addicted to public assistance in that they keep finding ways to get back on it rather than put that energy into getting themselves a leg up.  We need to have a better way and we need to get government out of it if we are to manage and utilize the resources efficiently. WB

3. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 7 years ago

People on welfare do have to prove that they are looking for work but it is a very superficial process. As long as you give a couple of names in terms of places you went to looking for work, you`re good.
    So, you have drug-dealers on welfare and people who work jobs for the black market. Now that`s what pisses me off. If you have such a job, you should already be thankfull for not paying taxes. Stealing money out of the welfare pool is crossing the line by quite a lot in my books. There are people who are truly in need and receive no help because there are maggots out there taking more than they deserve.
    The process of giving welfare and supervising those on welfare definately needs to be fixed.

4. justom profile image68
    justomposted 7 years ago

OK, it's official Mr. Happy is just a dumb ass with no knowledge of reality. Don't you have to be 18 to use this site? If you want to run your mouth at least have your FACTS straight.

5. maudiojazz profile image59
    maudiojazzposted 7 years ago

social assistance isn't coming from the same place. Rules being stiffer... define your areas of assistance a little more and the question would be easier to answer.

6. Novel Treasure profile image88
    Novel Treasureposted 6 years ago

Instead of cussing people out, how about respecting everyone's opinions. Mr. Happy has a point, In my profession I've run across people who exploit the system. They get food stamps, section 8, and other assistance, sell it for 0.50 on the dollar and have flat screen tvs that take up half the wall.

The system is superficial in checking for if the person is looking for employment. You simply list the jobs and places you put in an application but they don't check. The gov't cutbacks simply don't allow for the resources to police the programs in detail.

working